Why is boxing still a sport?

“I once watched ‘Gentleman’ Jim Corbett fight an Eskimo fellow bare-knuckled for a hundred and thirteen rounds! Of course, back then, if a fight lasted less than fifty rounds, we demanded our nickel back!” - C. Montgomery Burns

10 Likes

I recently wrestled with an accounting system written in perl that could not be upgraded (easily) for legacy reasons and that argued with newer perl (and libraries) after being moved to a new machine.

I don’t exactly agree that accounting can not present you with some major (and painful) challenges.

6 Likes

1-on-1 combat sports I can kind of understand. They’ve all evolved from warriors honing their skills in a somewhat controlled environment:

• Boxing
  • Wrestling
  • Judo
  • Sumo
  • Fencing
  • MMA
  • etc.

Though they all differ in terms of allowed equipment, allowed moves, and what constitutes ‘winning’, they all boil down to proving you can defeat an opponent. When you get into team sports though, I start to fail to see the point.

4 Likes

For the amount of effort, time and pain put in, the money down at the undercard/journeyman/jobber level is pretty piss-poor, maybe a couple of hundred bucks.

It’s possible to make a living from it, though. Get a good enough reputation and you could be fighting a few times a month, and making a livable wage from it.

1 Like

Good question. MMA is 10x more fun to watch. It also allows for more than one way to beat an opponent besides causing brain damage.

People love to push themselves and compete. Fighting and sparing is one of the ways. Sure it can be dangerous and cause injury. Most sports can. People die all the time doing other things like skiing and rock climbing. Every years at least one kid dies from baseball/softball. So I really don’t have an issue people getting hurt and it’s two consenting adults wanting to see who is the better fighter.

4 Likes

Not at all, I respect what they do. I meant it more from my perspective; I know I couldn’t roll my ass out of bed every morning to then get said ass handed back to me everyday, no matter how good the paycheck was or how much I enjoyed it.

4 Likes

I lost my love for boxing when I realized what it had done to Ali.

I lost my love for American Football when I saw what it did to Seau.

9 Likes

This is why I only do eSports.

As I stated in another post:

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!”

Upton Sinclair

3 Likes

No, it isn’t. Thanks to the hard work of the UFC management and referees, MMA has significantly more rules surrounding the sorts of contact possible, and much faster referee stoppages.

See: Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts

1 Like

Also this. Things look much worse in slow motion. Compare this relatively tame slap to the punch gif.

I think you are confusing fandom with sports. I do not personally understand the point of becoming emotionally invested in a team you are not playin on, I think it’s kind of stupid. However, I love team sports, they combine all the fun aspects of problem solving and physical skill with communication and strategy, often trust. Individual sports/activities are great, but humans are social creatures, and connecting with a group towards a common goal is immensely rewarding in ways that individual sports are not (solo sports are rewarding in their own way).

5 Likes
11 Likes

waaaah no one ever do anything brutal let’s just go to makefaires and strum ukuleles omg the brutality

1 Like

10 Likes

[quote=“shaddack, post:39, topic:49851”]Who gets the authority to define what has or has not place in a “civilized” “society” (and what do these two things mean anyway)?[/quote]Well, it’s two people who have not wronged each other in any way electing to inflict physical pain upon each other. Surely this would be considered to fall beyond the scope of the conventional definition of these terms?

That’s why capoeira appeals to me – lots of intricate, challenging movements, but lacking any particular hostility.

I honestly have become a huge fan of and watch a lot of Battle Royale. It’s a game-mode mod to ARMA 3 that a lot of people on Twitch.tv stream, and it’s awesome.

Basically, 40 or so people get airdropped onto a 25 square kilometer island (Stratis in Greece), with no loadout, and the point is to be the last man standing. There’s weapon spawns in randomish spots, high value care package drops, a moving random bombing zone, some beat up vehicles to get around, a few military outposts, and an ever-shrinking blue circle of death that you have to stay inside of or you die rapidly.

It’s fascinating to watch how ex-military guys play, as well as the pro gamers. And you can even play along if you want. I’m personally really bad with the keyboard and mouse when it comes to gaming, so I’m happy to just watch these guys virtually murder each other.

It’s better than watching COD or Halo tournaments at least.

2 Likes

Certainly you do not mean to suggest the something that does not appeal to you, should be proscribed for everyone else. Anything could be banned then. You’re not Caesar.

Well, it is two men having sex with each other which is contrary to nature. Surely this falls beyond the scope of the conventional definition of these terms. That is why women appeal to me - lots of boobies and the opportunity to procreate.

2 Likes

Based on the book / film?

I belatedly watched Hunger Games, and it just made me wish I’d watched Battle Royale again instead (but not the craptastic sequel).

I never actually saw the original Battle Royale movie. I haven’t read the book either. But yes, it’s pretty much hunger games, except with 30 to 64 people instead of like 12. You parachute in with no weapons or armor, but you know there’s usually weapons or armor in certain places, you just don’t know what you’re going to get.

Then the V22-Osprey flys by, drops a care package, and promptly bombs the shit out of it to level the playing field. If you get there first, you usually have your pick of something decent, like a ghillie suit, an SVD-Sniper, LMGs, sometimes there’s even a wetsuit and rebreather so you can just sit under water, undetectable until everyone else kills each other. ARMA 3 has plenty of bugs in its mechanics, but its maps are stellar, and huge.

They also just added a Wake Island map, to speed up the rounds. The smaller the map, the faster the round goes, since everyone is forced into each other’s proximity.