Why medieval monks filled manuscript margins with murderous rabbits

[Read the post]

(lots of medieval sexual imagery involves wolves jumping on rabbits)

Ah, finnaly an explanation for all that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom action way back then.

8 Likes

42 Likes

This. Everyone should watch this documentary and never trust a rabbit again.

27 Likes

Now I’m stuck wondering how many other Monty Python jokes have a serious academic basis.

33 Likes

but do you wonder enough to overcome the #1 humanness biomarker?

11 Likes
7 Likes

I can take care of that.

16 Likes

I thought that they were a reference to hell.

11 Likes

Terry Jones read English (and had a self-described “history problem”) while at Oxford. I bought a copy of one of his non-fiction books on Chaucer (1980), which I later gave to an English professor.

From Wikipedia:

History
"Jones has written books and presented television documentaries on medieval and ancient history and the history of numeral systems.

His first book was Chaucer’s Knight: The Portrait of a Medieval Mercenary (1980), which offers an alternative take on Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Knight’s Tale. Chaucer’s knight is often interpreted as a paragon of Christian virtue, but Jones asserts that if one studies historical accounts of the battles the knight claims he was involved in, he can be interpreted as a typical mercenary and a potentially cold-blooded killer. He also wrote “Who Killed Chaucer?” (2003) in which he argues that Chaucer was close to King Richard the Second and after Richard was deposed Chaucer was persecuted to death by Thomas Arundel.[9]"

So, yeah. The troupe had some gravitas.

19 Likes

A modern example in this twisted shirt design I bought years ago on Shirt.Woot:

16 Likes

Medieval manuscripts also had a large number of knights battling snails, and scholars really don’t know why.

15 Likes

maybe it was just the “gelatinous cube” of its time…

8 Likes

They were also fond of other animals at war:

and monkeys doing stuff:

Oh, and here’s a nun harvesting penises:

All images from the wonderful Got Medieval blog http://www.gotmedieval.com/

Has anyone told this guy?

18 Likes

I recently learned that the “five Adams” remark the Metatron makes early in Dogma stems from an actual piece of kabbalistic lore, so I wouldn’t be surprised given most of the Pythons’ backgrounds.

5 Likes

Let us not forget hedgehog illuminations (they weren’t warriors, but they were there, and almost delightful):
Hedgehog who looks a bit too much like an actual hog watching someone.

Hedgehog with horse hooves:

Hedgehog chiding a goat for its vanity:

Hedgehogs with stuff stuck on their quills (which was considered diabolical symbolism, apparently):

more here:

15 Likes

Having once spent I don’t know how much time watching a wild hedgehog amble around eating bugs I’m not surprised monks were pretty taken with them too.

3 Likes

10 Likes

Irony noted.

8 Likes

So. Not the Mayan Incursions then?