Why medieval monks filled manuscript margins with murderous rabbits

There’s an empty trash strewn lot in the middle of my neighborhood (next to a very run down house), with several dozen rabbits running around it. I never wanted to call the city on it because hey, cute bunnies! and I figure maybe the people living in the very run down house might need them for food.

But this changes my perception. Murderous little fuzzballs just biding their time.

2 Likes

15 Likes

i’m not a tattoo guy, but now i really want to see lots of people getting medieval manuscript-based tattoos. some of them are lovely, particularly all the animal ones. and that nun harvesting penises BEGS to be a tattoo.

7 Likes

Why medieval monks filled manuscript margins with murderous rabbits

WHO NEEDS A REASON??

21 Likes

Bonus Bunja:

8 Likes

I’d buy a drink for a person with that tattoo, because I bet they would be a hoot.

3 Likes

So basically, these are Bugs Bunnys’ venerable ancestors?

5 Likes
1 Like

I think the rabbit riding the anthropomorphic snail will be my first tattoo!

4 Likes

Nunsense. She’s grafting them on.

13 Likes

So the tree is a trans plant?

24 Likes

Dinsdale…

6 Likes

Somewhat surprised that not one Lynch fan thought of posting this bit of weirdness:

Rabbits

6 Likes

I don’t know why people think rabbits are helpless. Years ago a friend of mine got a pet rabbit. He also had a largeish tom cat in his house.

It took about 15 seconds for that cat to learn not to mess with it…

6 Likes

Watership down captured their nature…

14 Likes

it would be a GREAT tattoo.

Poor kitteh!

1 Like

This means Crusader Rabbit was real?

1 Like

I’m not sure how I feel about this…

I’m experiencing cognitive dissonance.

1 Like

And here I’ve always thought this was just sex-starved – or bitter – monks making ribald puns. (For instance, there’s a vignette in the Bayeaux Tapestry of a falcon chasing a rabbit…makes raunchy sense when you consider Fr. coni [rabbit] in light of Fr. con [the C-word that American men are not allowed to say], considering Norman attitudes towards the English…)

Or maybe I’m still just buzzing from my first (finally!) viewing of Deadpool

4 Likes