Why (or why not) to vote for Bernie Sanders

You may be right. According to Zaid Jilani of Alternet, some of Vox can be full of crap on occasion. I’ve witnessed Vox screw the pooch before, so I tend to agree with Zaid on that point.

Here’s Zaid’s POV:

How the Latest Smear Campaign Against Bernie Sanders Collapsed Before It Started

The Vermont senator’s words were completely twisted. Here’s what he actually said.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/how-latest-smear-campaign-against-bernie-sanders-collapsed-it-started

I agree with Zaid for the most part, however I still think Sanders needs to get some national airtime soon to better explain himself on immigration. Even to an ardent supporter like me, he appeared too harsh during the last few interviews. We really don’t want the media to frame him as anti-immigration (which is ridiculous if one looks at his overall record), but they’ll do it anyway if he lets them. In my opinion, if not his recent stances, Sanders at least needs to evolve his language on immigration much better than he appears to be doing lately. Then again, this may be one of the few areas where I disagree with Sanders and/or I don’t have enough facts yet on the issue.

2 Likes

That’s very nice of you, @Mindysan33, thank you.

4 Likes

it’s true. You’re a true advocate and you’d be best suited for having a pitch here on BB. I appreciate all you’re doing.

5 Likes

Ohh. A new imprint!

5 Likes

So, @Cowicide

Who did you want, if it wasn’t Sanders?

1 Like

What?

I realize I’m coming into this conversation late, but this seems to be pretty far from accurate.

Each candidate/party puts forward their own list of electors. These are people who, whether or not they are legally pledged to vote for the candidate in question (which they are in most states), are hand-chosen representatives loyal to the party or candidate.

When you vote, you are voting for these electors. It doesn’t make any sense to say that “very few members of the College are independent,” as if it’s some static body — it’s voted in every four years.

So, for example, if Sanders ran as an independent, and won a plurality of the vote in California, the entire delegation to the electoral college from California would be required to be those 55 people hand-picked by the Sanders campaign, and they would be bound by state law in California to vote for Sanders.

The electoral college system is definitely unfair to independents, because of the winner-take-all system, but it’s just wrong to say that the electoral college wouldn’t cast their votes for the independent, if that’s how their states had voted.

(There have been a few cases of “faithless electors” casting a vote for someone other than to whom they were pledged, but they’ve all been accidents or symbolic protests when the outcome wasn’t going to change.)

1 Like

Warren. Or, rather, a Warren/Sanders run, perhaps. Otherwise, I want a deity to come and collect souls from the likes of the Koch brothers, etc..

1 Like

Both of our views are accurate, in that they describe the workings of the electoral college.

You’ve nicely fleshed out the gaps in what I was saying.

Dammit, I can no longer support Sanders. He’s in somebody’s pocket.

7 Likes

He vocally supported President Obama’s immigration executive order and has called for going even further, such as including the parents of dreamers, putting him to the left of President Obama.

Wait, what?

You know, 100,000 people coming out to your rallies is almost certainly better objectively than an Onion article, but I’m still awfully encouraged by that extremely thinly veiled “Bernie Sanders is the only presidential hopeful who is not under the thumb of Corporate America” piece.

2 Likes

The American people are getting increasingly tired of the corporatist alternatives. This just in yesterday:

Almost Every Major Poll Shows Bernie Sanders Challenging or Defeating Clinton & Republicans.

5 Likes

Well, HuffPo have nailed their colours to the mast…

Related links:
When Republicans Nominate a Billionaire, Only Bernie Sanders Will Save Democrats
Hillary Clinton Has A ‘White Liberal’ Problem That Will Help Bernie Sanders Become Democratic Nominee
Unlike Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders Never Says, ‘When I Become President, I Will Answer Your Question’

3 Likes

3 Likes

Bernie is in Seattle tonight

He also did an extra rally for the people who couldn’t get in because the (10000?) seat venue was full.

4 Likes

So, some possibly outlier? (I’m not sure) #BlackLivesMatter activists that some (including myself) suspect are possibly Hillary Clinton operatives via Soros - (more info) tried to stop Bernie in Seattle. He then went on to get…

15,000 people at next event there:

Bernie Sanders draws 15,000 people at UW, state’s biggest political crowd since 2010 Obama visit

If it was Hillary Clinton operatives, they failed miserably… many messages from my black compatriots like this in response:

https://twitter.com/OckyJ83/status/630225514641264640
https://twitter.com/Othniel4Prez/status/630240450130124800

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/630192031231549440

https://twitter.com/4cHairChick/status/630256274676932612
https://twitter.com/YeaYouRite/status/630363932285399040

And on and on…

Facebook reaction via POC towards BLM with ONE MILLION views after only a few hours is already very bad for BLM:

If you don’t do Facebook, here’s a screenshot of link above (look at top comments):

(click to enlarge)

Yeah… This train… train don’t stop…

Some more picts from Seattle…

5 Likes

I don’t think that what happened at Westlake Park was anything other than what it appeared to be.

I agree (and I’ve said here before) that Seattle definitely has real racism problems. It’s easily ignored because it’s such a white city but that doesn’t make them less real. Westlake Park is often the centre of protests so this shouldn’t have been surprising.

That said, I don’t really know what the point was. What they interrupted was an event about Social Security that Sanders was attending, not his rally, and this just seems counterproductive. Do they want rid of him, or do they want a different candidate? (Who?)

ETA, I like that Sanders lets them have the microphone and say what they want to say, but if they don’t let him respond, what’s the point?

5 Likes

Increasingly some of the BLM is looking like partisan hacks for Hillary Clinton who, indeed, do seemingly want to get rid of Bernie Sanders. They refuse to protest Clinton and it’s looking increasingly odd to many progressives.

For example, this open letter to the Black Lives Matter leaders remains unanswered:

I still support Black Lives Matter, however, many others and myself are increasingly looking at some of the activists (not all of them) sideways as they continue to focus like a laser on Bernie Sanders while giving Hillary Clinton a very obvious pass along with a disregard for Republicans. Some of the recent statements against Sanders are now outright attacks that he certainly doesn’t deserve and it just makes those attacks (solely on Sanders) appear to be a partisan attack to hurt his campaign instead of addressing black lives. This is bad for everyone involved.

3 Likes

Mod note: @dragonchild12 and @Cowicide, Don’t engage with each other anymore. Cheers.

3 Likes

On that note:

https://twitter.com/YeaYouRite/status/630360550095065089

2 Likes