Why Werner Herzog hates chickens

So…Herzog hates chickens yet has worked repeatedly with Klaus Kinski. I just don’t get it.

4 Likes

I like the bit where, as a child, Herzog lives with Kinsky and Kinsky locks himself in the bathroom and destroys every piece of porcelain bath-ware so completely that at the end of his 48 hour fit of uncontrollable and incandescent rage, nothing is left but a fine powder covering the floor of the room.

2 Likes

I think the original wild Gallus gallus is to be found in southeast asian forests…

And I totally agree with Herzog here, chickens look incredibly stupid.

3 Likes

My experience with my grandfather’s free-range chickens taught me that chickens are dumb. And when they aren’t dumb, they are evil little beady-eyed velociraptors who will eat their own.

Also, there’s this: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/04/04/_werner_herzog_or_red_skull_audio_quiz_guess_between_the_german_director.html

5 Likes

Chickens don’t need to be smart, any more than a fly does. Scratch for food, run for cover when a shadow crosses the ground, lay lots of eggs, and brood them. Brains come at a cost, evolutionarily speaking. Chickens are capable of a certain grandeur and nobility, though. Werner seems vaguely repelled by the messiness of biology in general.

1 Like

All birds are amazing. I was watching the nesting crows today whilst waiting for a train. There was one who had clearly just pulled, and was doing the crow equivalent of the yawn & stretch the arm out manoeuvre, but she kept shuffling away.

If any thing, people are mentioning his name. A good thing. Loved the “Bad Lieutanent”.

Goats are absolute bastards.

3 Likes

This. Oh, yes.

I am amazed/appalled that they can peck a fellow chicken to death if they see any amount of blood. I like to think that they are just too dumb to know the difference between pecking a chicken and pecking the ground, and not that they are evil-minded poultry.

1 Like

Cows Force Plane To Make An Emergency Landing

That is all…

2 Likes

I’m thinking it’s a code word for republicans.

“Nut to mention ze time vere I vas given a bad Coupon.”

True. Henpecking is a terrible thing to witness, although maybe on some Darwinian level it makes sense. On the other hand, I’ve seen one of my hens boldly and loudly stand between a raccoon and her chicks in the middle of the night. And she won. I was very impressed. Also, when hand raised from chicks they imprint like geese and make sweet, affectionate pets.

2 Likes

You can’t mention Herzog and chickens without the obligatory:

1 Like

For the record, that wasn’t the cows’ fault.

It was a false alarm that forced the plane down because the combined cattle heat set off heat sensors. Never overcrowd a bunch of motherfucking cows on a plane. Although, I will concede the combined gas emissions from the cows’ rear ends may have been a contributing factor to the problem.

3 Likes

Hold on to your spoon… An aluminium tube pressurized with methane? One spark and they would have been flying over the moon.

3 Likes

And tasty!

Chickens hate him too!

They prefer to be called flight attendants. {rimshot!}

1 Like

Would a shoe run around for years without its head? I think not. Point, shoe.

Edited to correct: I thought it was longer than 18 months. Oh, well. Still, a shoe wouldn’t do that.

1 Like