Wikileaks' Assange asks Swedish police to investigate FBI, US intel activity

[Permalink]

1 Like

What he apparently fails to understand is, it’s not illegal if the US does it.

2 Likes

Yeah, good luck with that.

I figure this is a “just so he can say he tried” kind of deal that may come up later.

Kind of like calling the police when your car stereo gets stolen in a city. You know the police won’t do a damn thing about it but make a report, but it’s still necessary to have that police report so you can collect from your car insurance later.

3 Likes

Sure, I get the irony, but Assange doesn’t seem to be a very tongue-in-cheek kinda guy. All of the interviews I’ve read with him come off as being very shrill and hand-wringy. And I seriously doubt this request will earn him any points on his case vs. his Swedish/U.S. extradition.

Then again, stranger things have happened. I’m still surprised he hasn’t been the subject of Extraordinary Rendition.

Sure, I get the irony, but Assange doesn’t seem to be a very tongue-in-cheek kinda guy.

I’m not saying that he did it as a joke or to be ironic, I think you missed my point.

All of the interviews I’ve read with him come off as being very shrill and hand-wringy.

You’d might be a little hand-wringy if shrill American politicians kept saying you should be tortured and/or assassinated. Have any politicians advocated for blowing your brains out lately? I think despite the pressure, Assange has been pretty chill overall.

On the other hand, I think many of those who appose Wikileaks tend to be the shrill and mindlessly hand-wringy type:

1 Like

Just wondering, if Assange gets elected to the Senate, does he gain diplomatic immunity?

I believe he needs to be sworn in, either in the Senate chamber or in front of the Governor General or something like that, before he becomes a Senator and is entitled to any privileges or benefits of that position. So if he does get elected there is a good chance that, short of a big diplomatic push from the Australian Government (unlikely, as I don’t think anyone in the major parties like him very much,) he will end up forfeiting his seat due to his inability to return to Australia.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.