Woman faces 10 years in prison for giving water to pigs on a scorching summer day

Tilde c200, the embed heuristics don’t perform Real File Type analysis.

3 Likes

~You’re dead to me~

3 Likes

2 Likes

You know, given its high fat content, i may be able to make avocado bacon…

13 Likes

I’d eat that.

15 Likes

10 years seems pretty nuts, particularly in light of the fact that we just docked a cop five days pay for assault.

6 Likes

There’s a difference between you mishandling a pig and the pig mishandling you.

20 Likes

Yeah. There’s a whole other story that’s a bit hidden from view here. IMHO it was a stunt designed to create viral outrage. From the petition “Anita Krajnc, the co-founder of Toronto Pig Save, and another activist stopped to give the pigs water and document their experience”.

Interpretation: she knew what she was doing and wanted to get a reaction from the driver in order to post it online and create controversy. Check!

“there are reports that she’s willing to go to jail.” Of course she is! She’s an activist willing to go to jail to make a statement.

My guess is that she’s had confrontations with the company before and knew what the outcome was going to be beforehand (hence having someone else record the interaction), and the owners were willing to go along with it and have her arrested.

11 Likes

Bingo. Apparently she’s been hanging out on that median for years, this one time a driver had had enough.

1 Like

Not to mention: it could be possible that the water she gave them was contaminated with something.

It wasn’t the case, to be sure, but I think THAT is why she’s been charged.

3 Likes

Death threats, bombs and graverobbing. Yes, terrorists, and the utterly contemptible ALF are the ones I particularly had in mind.

3 Likes

So it’s a win-win situation.

You are spot on. I’d be happy to change the conditions of transportation, to a point, but having a stranger show up and put something into those pigs that can’t be traced (even if I do – and I do – believe she just meant to be nice) is not something a regulated agriculture universe can allow.

That said, prison for the woman is ridiculous.

6 Likes

What seems like an appropriate punishment…

I can’t say without knowing more of what happens to animals that are ‘suspect’ - if they are forced to be used for animal feed (and thus less money) then there should be a fine = to the lost value.

If they have to be tested or quarantined then a fine = time and cost incurred.

If they have to be destroyed - honestly I’d want the punishment to have to watch the (now useless) destruction.

There needs to be some kind of penalty for doing this - 10 years of jail is worse than most manslaughter charges however and seems ridiculous.

4 Likes

She hasn’t been convicted. She hasn’t been sentenced. If she actually got 10 years I’d be pretty upset, but at this point, is there actually any reason to believe she’ll get more than a stern talking to and probation?

Despite being Canadian, I don’t really know how canadian courts generally handle this kind of thing, but I can’t imagine that anyone involved is going to want to turn her into a martyr

Edited to add:
the CBC says

Punishment for the charge ranges from a fine to up to 10 years in prison.
3 Likes

Popehat generally doesn’t like the reporting of maximum sentences by journalists…

3 Likes

You’d be paranoid too, just takes one person to ask the wrong question and you know the pigs are gonna squeal.

4 Likes

Reading the synopsis of the story, that didn’t occur to me, but thinking about it - and reading the full article, it does seem quite likely.

That seems pretty likely - she’s an animal rights activist who clearly was following the truck and looking for an opportunity to do this, even though, as has been mentioned above, it wasn’t even a hot day. According to the story, animal rights protesters surround the truck when it stops at red lights, making this a likely extension of that disruption, albeit a more serious one.

The problem is, the system gets disrupted whether or not they actually were contaminated - they don’t know. Even if they have the water and test it, that takes time and they can’t slaughter the pigs. Ten years is ridiculous (and very, very unlikely as it’s the maximum penalty), but this was a fairly serious disruption of someone’s business. Demanding proof that the water was contaminated is like demanding to prove that a gun was loaded when someone was threatened by it - it was still a threat either way.

3 Likes

There are a few US groups that are these days, but it’s true of far more European groups. The European animal rights activists have waged campaigns of fear and have racked up a fair number of serious attacks on people (though I’m not sure anyone has actually died yet, but it’s not from lack of trying). In recent years, taking cues from Europe, some American groups have launched some arson and bomb attacks on people (but failed to kill anyone). The irony is that the Europeans have been jailed for using tactics stolen from American anti-choice groups ( publishing personal information in the context of an implied threat); they exported those tactics back to the US animal rights extremists, at which point the US government got pretty serious about criminalizing them and their tactics, while the anti-abortion terror groups use of the same tactics was always given a free pass as it was “just free speech.”

4 Likes

Ask her to drink the water. If she flinches, test it hard.

1 Like