World's top 10 colleges all in US and UK

Bravo…and sniffle.

2 Likes

How hard does Mali rock!

I’ve seen that quite a few times and it still gives me a huge buzz.

2 Likes

College and University are typically synonyms when used casually in the US, but when being more precise a university is a collection of colleges where the colleges are a collection of disciplines, typically a college of business, a college of engineering, a college of medicine, and a college collecting everything that university administrators hate and despise.

The BBC did not make a mistake. Did you read the article? Here’s the headline: “Six of world’s top 20 universities are in UK”. Evidently the poster of this article used the more generic term “college” (which is not a usage limited to the United States) as a synonym.

Also, to everyone else commenting on this, if you go to a university in the US, you know that we use the word the exact same way. Universities are made of colleges (my alma mater has twelve), but there can be schools which consist solely of one college or vocational “colleges”. So while talking about higher education in general, you can say “colleges” and be perfectly correct, but in this case the usage is incorrect since the article was talking specifically about universities.

1 Like

Sadly, I think you’re right here…

Me, I came to academia, and preferable, would like to never leave, if possible, and actually use the skills I’ve acquired, both in teaching, research, and writing. But we’ll see if that pans out. The situation is pretty bleak if you don’t come out of a top-tier school as far as getting a decent tenure track job. I know so many people jumping between endless lecturing positions or stuck as an adjunct, with little to no job security.

It has been too many years since I’ve played Propaganda, clearly.

2 Likes

Excellent! I love this!

Sadly, there are far too many people whose only criteria for a successful life is the size of your bank account. They tend to be the same people who think that teachers get the whole summer off and that they are done everyday at 3 (or whatever time school is done each day), and that public education is a waste (of course, they send their kids to a private school…).

Mr. Mali got the quote right, too.

Would you expect any less from that dude?

This was my first introduction to his work, for which I thank you!

“Earnest is better than hip” – Randy Pausch

I like to think those two qualities aren’t mutually exclusive…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.