X-Wing Fighter knife-block

[Permalink]

Let the consumer feeding frenzy begin!

New films, new products, new profits!

ALL HAIL DISNEY! ALL HAIL THE INVISIBLE HAND! ALL HAIL DISPOSABLE SOCIETY!

4 Likes

Perfect for carving up roast Porkins with a Wedge salad on the side.

3 Likes

The sci-fi nerd in me is all “Want” and the cooking nerd in me is all like “shitty knives, pass.”

All of these cool looking knife sets come with such crap knives and due to their make you can’t really put your own good knives in there. It’s a bummer.

2 Likes

The X-Wing block is cool, but I guarantee the knives are poor quality.

Whenever I see someone put a block of knives on their wedding registry or whatever, I want to shake them. Please, please, please, take the cost of that block of knives and put it towards one single good chef knife. I guarantee you’ll get more and happier use out of it than you ever will from you four different sizes of cheap “santoku” knives and two boning knives.

1 Like

Oh, God. I just realized that now that Disney owns Star Wars, Cory is obligated to report on every single Star Wars tchotchke that comes down the pike.

“Lock Ginsus in attack position”

You know someone was gonna say it.

2 Likes

In my experience these clever knife blocks come with especially shit knives. Smooth stainless handles as pictured is a terrible idea regardless of blade quality. And most of the block of this sort I’ve seen (a friend has “the ex” knife block, some one else has that knife thrower one) seem to come with Walmart grade knives from Kitchen-Aid or Cuisinart. I spent like 4 hours trying to get a decent edge on them for the friend with “the ex” knife block. I sort of succeeded but I don’t believe they lasted long. The metal is insanely hard to grind, and wouldn’t take an edge worth a damn.

In other news. I’ve never agreed with the whole “put the cost of the knife block into one or two quality knifes”. If only because a lot of the knife blocks people are looking at these days are $300-$400+ (even the really shit ones). And spending that much on even a handful of knives is over kill for a lot of people. I don’t even recommend to most friends and family that they go with typical “quality” knife brands, regardless of price point. A lot of people don’t know how or care to properly maintain a knife. They just want something that doesn’t suck, looks fairly nice, and won’t break or dull too quickly. So I tell them to do what restaurants do go to the nearest restaurant supply house and pick out a couple of cheap (name brand preferably but not always) industrial grade “house knives”. Dexter Russel, Mundial, Victorinox, Messermeister. There’s a bunch of other brands too. They all made good quality, functional knives in a variety of designs. They range from no-frills and nearly indestructible to genuinely nice and surprisingly high quality. In all likely hood you won’t end up paying more than 40 bucks a blade. And they’ll be durable enough to put up with whatever abuse and neglect you want to throw at them or cheap enough to replace if you genuinely fuck them up.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.