Young Men and Fire

Want to know how 19 fire fighters can be killed in an instant? Read Norman Maclean’s account of the 1949 Mann Gulch tragedy in Montana. 15 men jumped into a fire. 12 of them were dead within 2 hours. Fire fighters are heroes. READ THE REST

1 Like

I’ve been wondering how long it would take for the Mann Gulch fire to be mentioned in the wake of the Prescott tragedy.

I also recommend Norman Maclean’s book.

2 Likes

I recommend both the Maclean book and the (very abbreviated) version given in the song “Cold Missouri Waters.”

1 Like

I’m confused. What 19 firefighters died in an instant? Mr. Maclean’s book deals with 12 firefighters who died over the course of two hours. It doesn’t help that the “read the rest” link only takes you back to the original Boing-Boing headline, which links only to the amazon page for Mr. Maclean’s book. IMHO, your new format sucks.

You’re right. Firefighters are heroes. They’re also “firefighters” not “fire fighters.”

I believe it’s still required reading for one to get their red card. That’s some serious business.

Tactless and needlessly pedantic, while adding nothing to the discussion. So edgy.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.