Your brain on poetry, and the three-second human perception of 'now'

[Permalink]

1 Like

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess the link was fixed before I could even finish this post.

Also, why not…

Though Jalees Rehman’s article is thought-provoking, the ultimate “Zen question” is as follows:

How exactly are human beings (and other mammals) able to open and close their hands/paws to make fists or to make specific movements? This ability seems to transcend the “3-second rule” - as it happens seemingly instantaneously. In fact, oftentimes the movement of limbs appears to be independent of any thought process or reactive thought activity.

And of course, there really is no such thing as “NOW” - because Life and Living are processes in constant flux. - -“The Now” is only ever “The Soon-to-be Future” or “The Very-Recent Past”

Of course, understanding some complex concept will always take longer than closing a hand around something. The hand has to work fast if we are to survive. I can remember several very striking events in my life where I lost contact with simultaneity over a period of a few seconds. I literally couldn’t tell you which of two events happened first and on a few occasions I recall one event being percived twice.

When I was starting out on tegretol, and somewhat intoxicated, the effect was amplified. Something would appear in my peripheral vision, and fill in over half a second or so.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.