11foot8+8 bridge finally claims another victim

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/28/11foot88-bridge-finally-claims-another-victim.html

17 Likes

11foot8+8 bridge finally claims another victim moron

FTFY. The days of blaming the city and the bridge are over.

22 Likes

I disagree. The signage, road, and bridge all visually match what that driver is accustomed to seeing and having no problem with. Increasing the volume of signs does not mean increasing the chances of them being read, in fact it decreases it. This is like human-factors 101.

3 Likes

OK, one more time:

The other day (9/22) I was driving down Gregson and saw an RV pulled to the side of the road, the driver in the street picking up shattered bits of AC housing. I emailed Jürgen to let him know. Expect another video soon.

42 Likes

Yeah - the bridge is the victim, here.

And we don’t like victim-blaming, do we? :wink:

8 Likes

The city increased the clearance, painted the bridge bright colours, installed traffic lights, put up flashing signage, installed warning signs well ahead of the crossing. Plus, the crossing is now notorious in the area. I’ll stand by “morons” who don’t bother to check the height of their trucks.

27 Likes

11foot8 bingo never gets old. It has to be one of the internet records for most canned responses that every viewer thinks they are an original genius for stating.

26 Likes

What would you suggest they put up instead? A machine gun nest?

14 Likes

I understand.

What you are describing is an example of ‘alert fatigue’. It’s a well known and well documented phenomenon.

The city, in all their costly efforts, managed to exacerbate the problem, not solve it. Unfortunately, they are living in a world where yellow signs and paint are all over.

They need something unique and unexpected. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1008464/Amazing-water-curtain-Stop-sign.html

3 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 15.24.22

41 Likes

a well-deserved treat in the form of a large semi-truck with a refrigerated container.

That’s not a semi. There’s no trailer. That’s just a regular box truck.

8 Likes

Yes, the laissez faire approach always works so well. /s

I’m aware of “alert fatigue”, but it’s not like the entire area is covered in the sort of blaring warnings that surround that bridge. You can keep blaming the city, but at this point it’s on the morons.

Really, even a water curtain (congrats on the bingo square) wouldn’t stop these idiots, nor would a a kaiju standing guard at the crossing. You see, they’re busy people on important errands, and who needs planning or caution or (to use that selectively deployed anti-statist standard) personal responsibility when one is engaged in such tasks?

20 Likes

Well, now it’s a semi-truck!

[beat]

Well, 7/8ths of a truck.

37 Likes

I think the sign should read “YOUR truck is overheight and YOU will hit the bridge” as I imagine some drivers see the sign and assume it’s a generic message informing those who are overheight that they must turn, not realizing it is in fact they who are overheight. Also I like how carefully the driver backs out at the end given how un-carefully they drove through.

3 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 15.32.13

35 Likes

I know I’m anthropomorphizing here, but that truck looked so despondent as it trundled off onto the turn off.
I loved it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

bingo

8 Likes

It looks like a pretty average bridge crossing to me, lots of visual noise that I 100% always ignore in a car. If I were in a U-Haul, I would be much more aware of the bridge height signs but realistically would likely accidentally miss a few. Those that drive trucks on a daily basis would surely suffer from “my truck has never been over the height restriction” fatigue. The only unique aspect to this crossing is the very-easy-to-ignore sign.

The resolutions to this bridge are a patchwork of naive solutions.

2 Likes

No matter how loud you scream ‘they truly are idiots’, the problem will remain.

2 Likes

Bridge raised to 12’4" , the yellow bar remains at 11’8"

1 Like