16" MacBook Pro announced, and it has a proper escape key

I dunno. My 2012 MBP is still going strong. A new battery/keyboard module a couple of years back. It seems to me to be very much a durable item in a marketplace often crowded with junk. Best VFM of any laptop I’ve ever owned. By far.

1 Like

I keep my Apple laptops a long time, 3-5 years

Hey, cow orking is illegal in 48 states and frowned upon in the other two.

2 Likes

might be $20 grand for all data matter

If you treat your laptop as a portable device and pair it with a dock in the places you use it the most, having all your power and connections sent over a single USB C cable makes grab and go a pleasant reality, and avoids a messy spray of cables when it’s placed onto a stand.

1 Like

This is the big advantage of USB-C, for sure. I will say it’s also very nice to be able to use the same power bricks for everything; one brick can charge my laptop, game console, phone (with fast charging), and any other USB device.

The trick to avoiding dongle hell is to replace the cables - a USB-C to micro cable is less than $5 and lets you connect any old micro USB device to a Mac or to the aforementioned power brick.

The only area where this doesn’t really work is USB flash sticks. We should all have stopped using these years ago - they are horribly insecure, and we’re all connected to a network all the time anyway. Alas, ad-hoc networked filesharing is still an unrealized dream, unless everyone is using Apple devices.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.