20% of Manchester police systems run Windows XP

I find this claim hard to believe. I’ve watched all the episodes of “Scott & Bailey”, and they had pretty cool screensavers running all the time.

2 Likes

You just explained why I see XP in every doctor’s office I visit.

A few years ago at a McDonald’s drive thru, I saw the order screen display a blue NT 5.x message during a reboot. Since it was before I touched their food, it’s less likely to have been an hallucination or undigested bit of beef.

1 Like

I run into that with decent frequency in the sciences. We are in a constant battle with ITS, who constantly want to upgrade and replace computers, and us researchers who try to explain that, no, the program that runs this instrument from 1987 will NOT work on a new machine. And we don’t WANT it on the internet. Just to run this instrument. We had a spectrometer computer crash about a year ago, and it was a 36 pin parallel connection, and it took the poor tech two hours just to find and install the drivers. I almost felt bad for him. But they have been more understanding since.

2 Likes

A friend of mine’s dad is a cryo scientist. He has a collection of BBC Micros that he uses to run experiments and refuses to get rid of them.

1 Like

I think eventually they’re going to just go “round the horn” with it…security through obsolescence.

Hacker: "All right! We’re in! It looks like they are running, uh…COBOL? I, wait. What? Bob, doesn’t your grad-dad know that? Or was that FORTAN. "

Unironically I took COBOL, FORTAN, and Pascal in high school (20 some odd years ago) - I’m also typing this on a PC running XP…

I’m far more worried about corporate level data breaches than someone hacking my computer. I finally moved my parents to Linux Mint because at least every six months they some how managed to contract something and blew up XP/7. When I do get around to building a new PC I might only go up to Windows 7, I’ll have to see how my old programs react to anything newer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.