2020 Uprising: Enough is Enough

Right?

The conflicting emotions…

14 Likes

I’m slightly encouraged by the data here: https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2020/06/nationwide-protests-led-spike-coronavirus-cases-200608052743621.html

My takeaway? It seems as if the great outdoors is on the right side of history.

“The evidence suggests that although still significant, the risk of transmission of the virus in open spaces is much less than in indoor areas”, said Amir Khan, a doctor and senior lecturer at the University of Leeds and the University of Bradford in the United Kingdom.

Edited for punctuation

9 Likes

That is pretty accurate. In the open air, you have to pretty much get coughed on at close range to risk contagion. So it is pretty safe. Until some asshole throws tear gas into the mix and everybody starts coughing their heads off. And leaning on each other, and spewing and other gross things. So yeah, pretty safe. Barring assholes.

23 Likes

technically it’s an aerosol, and it’s not a chemical irritant because it comes from a naturally occurring substance mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble … /s

15 Likes

I stand corrected. :wink:

12 Likes

Threads:

11 Likes

The only benefit of being stuck in a closed time loop is we can read messages from the future

Oakland was hard for me to work, both logistically and emotionally. They hated the press more than any other Occupy, and faced more violence. But they had the biggest actions, too, and the happiest and most hopeful people I saw in the movement. Children danced at the Port of Oakland closure, marching bands played. “We are unstoppable! Another world is possible!”

It felt true, until night fell. The old women and children who had closed the port or marched in the street would go home. For those who remained, the nights often came to resemble a moving street battle more than a protest. Lines would advance and fall back, barricades went up, guns were fired, lives were destroyed. The next day, they would rebuild their camps. The camps were ragged, but beautiful too – hung with colored ribbons, cloths, the endless and endlessly decorated signs.

10 Likes
11 Likes

31 Likes

What in the everloving fuck does a public school system need with a fucking mine resistant armored personnel carrier?

28 Likes

BTW: if you’re thinking that the implication of Kwame’s observation is that America requires extensive reform, I’d say that you’re failing to grasp the meaning of “totally different”.

14 Likes

And note the date: 2014.

This isn’t just about Trump.

16 Likes

Reading about how Trump wants to take away health care rights for trans people and how he’s going to be holding a rally in Tulsa and like, the only sentiments I can feel right now are like this:

Vote I Guess

All the Power And Wealth

For real. If cruelty is the point of what these bigoted assholes want to do, why should we even consider going high anymore or that voting is gonna solve jack shit? Living in Texas, and having Greg Abbott as my governor, I really do wish that another tree would finish off what the first one started. Whether it’s an act of God or someone who sawed the oak loose, I don’t care. And maybe someone could sneeze on Dan Patrick to get him to sacrifice himself just like he wanted to sacrifice the elderly for the economy.

Enough is E-fucking-nough. These people want me and my friends dead or starving in a ditch. We should throw them in one instead.

8 Likes
10 Likes

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/fox-news-runs-digitally-altered-images-in-coverage-of-seattles-protests-capitol-hill-autonomous-zone/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

15 Likes

This was posted in 2018, but is very relevant currently. The people who need to see it probably won’t, but it needs more exposure.

16 Likes

That’s good!

10 Likes
24 Likes

Yet another reason for FOX to lose its goddamned broadcasting license already.

13 Likes

The military needed to get rid of them. And the idea was to save the police money by filtering down some equipment to the local PD and sheriffs.

But per usual, just as people were saying that TAZERs would become pain compliance devices rather than lethal force alternatives, lo and behold the MRAP became something that was needed by all LEO departments.

In WA lots of the LEO roll them out to display at the state and local fairs because they have “use requirements” meaning that if they don’t use them at least once in X amount of time they have to relinquish them.

So we get them and the sheriff and deputy parked next to the goat birthing stalls. County fairs are really great that way.

3 Likes