2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

Is that the cover of his latest album?

3 Likes

:musical_note: Out there in the fields, he fights for his meals.

7 Likes
9 Likes

Oh my GOD, that’s amazing.

1 Like

lol “Betomorph”

1 Like

A friend of mine tipped me off to this link. I was having a hard time googling events. If you live in or near Iowa and want to go to a political event, they’re all listed here: http://data.desmoinesregister.com/iowa-caucus/candidate-tracker/index.php#nav/calendar

If you don’t support medicare for all/single-payer or have a clear vision for something even better, then you’ve crossed my line in the sand in the general, as well as the primary. That’s too right wing for me.

9 Likes

That, and:

3 Likes

Man… sharing this not because i care so much as just the observation that we’re getting a real glimpse at the future scrutiny any candidate who grows up in the internet age will be facing. Is Beto possibly the first presidential candidate that was posting writing on the internet as a teenager? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/16/beto-orourke-apologises-for-joke-about-his-wife-and-teen-writings

2 Likes

The Onion is prescient once again. Between them and The Simpsons, we already know the next 50 years of future history. Now where was that lottery ticket?

8 Likes

I want to be very clear: I do not care what people did or wrote in college or younger. As far as I’m concerned, you get maximum benefit of the doubt up to around 25.

Beto sucks entirely for policy reasons, and I think we shouldn’t get dragged down by anything he wrote as a literal child.

This isn’t even high-minded idealism, it’s a very practical effort: I want to stay on message. The message being that these neoliberal candidates’ only real vision for the future is defeating Trump. I don’t like how Beto is sucking up space in the news cycle without doing or saying much. It’s a bad sign.

8 Likes

There are plenty of other internet-age candidates who seem to be handling it okay. Lee Carter’s approach in this thread seems appropriate:

7 Likes

But he’s SOOOO punk! /s

4 Likes

We all know who the real punk in the 2020 race is:

4 Likes

Good rundown by Andrew Cockburn, Washington editor for Harper’s magazine, on what a disaster it would be if the Dem establishment succeeds again in installing its favored corporate-friendly warhawk, Joe Biden.

20 mins, transcript included.

8 Likes
8 Likes

Seth Meyers had a funny bit where he said his personal test to see if a quote is crazy is to say it in a trump voice. He quoted Beto in a trump voice and it sounded totally nuts. LOL

at the 5:10 mark here: https://youtu.be/CuXlBSuQbMo

7 Likes

Yeah, I saw that yesterday… Myers has some great bits on his show, especially anytime they get Amber Ruffin in front of the camera… she’s a national treasure, that one!

amber-ruffin-yeah

8 Likes

Yes, I saw that, good piece!

Ultimately, what might be most frustrating about Beto is that we all know someone like him. He’s the guy in the meeting who hasn’t done any of the work but who repeats a woman’s points and immediately gets a round of applause and a promotion. He’s the guy who pays eloquent lip service to the importance of diversity, but would never go so far as conceding a woman might be better qualified for a job than him. He’s the epitome of mediocre white male confidence. And if there is one thing America does not need at the moment, it’s more mediocre white guys running things.

8 Likes

Lee Carter is still probably my favorite politician in America. And yes, you get in front of a story by openly admitting your wrong doing and making amends and not by saying your sorry and hoping it goes away after the fact.

3 Likes