2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

Thread:

10 Likes

Galeev’s style annoys me a bit. TL;DR: his best guess is Sergey Kirienko.

ETA: link to Wikipedia. Kind of short for the claim that he would be such an important figure.

3 Likes
11 Likes

Parochialism is a thing: if speakers of that language aren’t interested, the page won’t be big. His wiki.es, wiki.it, and wiki.fr pages are even shorter. The real test is to look at his wiki page in his own language.

8 Likes

So
 what ever happened with the apparent “coup” against Putin? Did that turn out to be disinformation aimed at Putin to make him more paranoid? Or something else? Did any other intelligence agency report on it?

14 Likes
15 Likes

Fuck.

I guess it’s not just U.S. Republicans who have managed to make The Cruelty Is the Pointℱ part of their core values.

This timeline we’re in has got to be one of the stupidest

28 Likes

Does Russia intend to go back to Lysenkoism?

During WW2, the russian guardians of the Leningrad seed bank allowed themselves to starve rather than eat the seeds and perhaps live a little longer. How far they’ve come.

25 Likes
9 Likes

oh, that’s already done. he was replaced by a body double who acts exactly like him in everyway. /s

( isn’t that what the right always says about people? sigh )

[ eta: just to be clear. that sigh isn’t directed at you. it’s the state of the world that’s got me down. ]

10 Likes

(Unknown source to me. Looks legit. Maybe.)

13 Likes

I believe the expression is “pushing shit uphill with a pointed stick.”

9 Likes

Verdammte Kackscheiße!

Diese unfassbaren Arschgeigen.

Was fĂŒr hirnamputierte merkbefreite Vollpfosten. Wer hat denen ins Gehirn geschissen?

Don’t even try to answer. I think I know already. And excuse my French, would you please? I think the language is very much appropriate.

This should count as crime against humanity by international standards, IMO.

19 Likes

Listen for free:
https://town.hall.org/radio/Soundprint/070293_soun_ITR.html
Really good radio story on Nikolai Vavilov.

A potential bright spot?

Indeed. So sad.
And such a damn stupid waste.

The human race seems committed to doing itself–ourselves–in.

13 Likes

I’ve forgotten much of mein Deutsch (und SchwĂ€bisch auch) but I don’t need GoogleTranslate to understand 90% of what you said. I completely agree with you.

Putin and his minions are doing as much as they can to fuck over future generations of many species on our entire planet.

They know exactly what they do, and may they rot in tell for their crimes.

I continue to be surprised and endlessly grateful that their insanity hasn’t reached the stage where they use their nukes.

11 Likes

“We would have won, except for all these reasons that we lost”

8 Likes

Fucking hell. This is a loss for all of humanity. For those who think it will not affect them I will present the example of an ancient variety of German lentil which was thought lost until it was found in the very St. Petersburg seed bank we are talking about above and now forms a not insubstantial part of an otherwise rather poor farming region’s premium agricultural output.

https://www.fondazioneslowfood.com/en/slow-food-presidia/swabian-alb-lentils/

These are the sort of things we thought we had solved in our interconnected world. Until some genocidal dictator comes along and takes us back to the early 20th century. Though it’s nothing compared to the human cost here and now of course.

18 Likes

In our interconnected world everything is somebody else’s problem.

Meanwhile:

(Note that Thomas Meaney is wrong. The largest minority in Finland is not Russians but Swedes.)

12 Likes

Do you think he’s merely wrong in the sense of being ignorant of a statistical matter and failing to correct it before press time; or working on the implicit understanding that Swedes in Finland are either to be understood as free-floating expats in the Schengen area or simply not to be seen as sufficiently outside the majority to even be a minority(much as, in the US context, ‘Irish’ is generally not seen as something you’d call out as a minority group these days); while Russians are sufficiently other to qualify as a Finnish minority group?

4 Likes

Yet another war crime/crime against humanity.
Fuck Putin and fuck the military fuckwits responsible for all the atrocities.

Seed banks are like data - as per Schofield’s second law of computing: it doesn’t exist unless there is another copy in a separate place.
Too late for a second backup copy of those seeds.

15 Likes