21 famous books you don't have to read (and recommendations for better books)

Richard Bach is one of those hippie writers that was a precursor to the current crop of NewAge; I devoured his work when I was in 7th grade, but found it aged poorly for me.

If I had to read Steinbeck, I’d go for Travels with Charley, which can be read alongside Blue Highways, by William Least Heat Moon, with comparable enjoyment; you might even be able to get a respectable paper out of a compare and contrast. Both are travelogues by unconventional travelers.

5 Likes

Honestly, I’d probably never have made it through Moby Dick if I wasn’t taking a course on American Romanticism. I love the book, but I can hardly imagine what my reaction to it would have been if I’d gone into it without any context.

1 Like

I think the moral was: Women are Things

(But I guess at the time no one needed to be taught that)

3 Likes

It was bait, and the world collectively fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Oh, they were casting a net far wider than booknerds, and that’s why the Bible was included. This is now national broadcast news (for GQ’s home country, the US, anyway.) I just saw a Fox reporter interviewing a catholic priest about the list.
On other book forums, all the young folks were all saying “what the hell is GQ?” Well, now Gens Y and Z have all heard what GQ is, ensuring the future market has some familiarity with their product. This was calculated rage bait and the Bible was the centerpiece. There is no way the theist community, especially in a country with such a high concentration of evangelicals, could not respond.

4 Likes

Illusions was quite good, I agree with you when it comes to One/Gift of Wings/Bridge Across Forever. But what ever you do, don’t read Illusions 2.

As for Steinbeck, I really liked To a God Unknown. The Red Pony still upsets me every time I read it, more than it should.

2 Likes

I was trying to remember Bach’s name. I have these vague recollections of his work after I was put onto him by a highschool love. Fond memories that I feel I’m safer not revisiting.

You’ve actually re- read it?? I can’t even read the title without getting upset!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.