26-year-old Americans are now more likely to live with parents than a spouse

A friend has a second house, but he and his wife decided to live with his parents and invited Syrian refugees to live in the second house. They’re devout Christians and show what Christianity should be like.

6 Likes

I’m curious how much of this trend is also down to young women being less pressured to marry the first probably-not-rapey man who comes along so she can do his laundry and cook his food for the remainder of her life. Because that happened a lot in 1968.

9 Likes

This is why I shouldn’t be surprised by young couples on house hunting shows when they say they cannot live without two bathrooms, or that each child must have their own bedroom. They’ve been trained to believe that. Working class people in previous generations didn’t have that kind of space, and that might be why they were more likely to pay off a mortgage (multi-generational living combined with smaller places having a lower tax assessment).

When I was a kid, nobody we knew had two bathrooms. My grandparents grew up with outhouses, so having one bathroom as adults was a huge improvement. They figured out how to take turns and set a schedule so that everyone got washed, dressed, and out the door on time. Most families didn’t have a separate nursery for babies, either. They slept in the room with the parents until they were old enough to share a room with siblings. My brothers shared a room (which would’ve been the dining room, we ate in the kitchen instead) until one left for college.

4 Likes

Just try selling a house with less bathrooms than bedrooms, though! It’s a pariah.

My SO’s (coincidentally) 26-yo daughter lives with us, and except for holding down the retail job we prodded her into, seems not in the least bit interested in having a life outside of online games and chat from her room. Adulting has been a tough sell, and we’ve leveled out at chores you’d expect a 13-yo to similarly whine over a couple times a week. This is NOT going to be easy.

As an aside to another comment above: I’d like to assert that 50-something yo parents of 26 year olds don’t yet need a full time caregiver. We’re just cracking middle age!

2 Likes

You might try finding subtle ways to make those fun things harder to do. If the bandwidth gets mysteriously reduced or the network security gets too difficult to navigate while chatting, moving away to a place with better connectivity looks like a better option.

1 Like

Sure, but not all 20-somethings have 50 year old parents, sometimes they are in their 60s or 70s. Sometimes people in their 50s and 60s get sick and need care. My dad was only 59 when he got lung cancer… And sometimes people our age will move in with their parents in order to take care of them.

I was just pointing out that there are a variety of reasons why people move in with their folks or vice versa that has nothing to do with lazy 20-something tropes.

5 Likes

Quite a lot of things happened between 1968 and 2018 that this article (put up by a real estate related site) completely ignores. For example, in the early 1970s abortion became legal nationwide and so did no-fault divorce. Both of those things had quite an impact on the number of people living with a spouse.

The recession of the early 1990s didn’t increase living with parents much, but it certainly increased living with roommates. And of course we have no way of knowing how many previous “roommates” were actually committed partners.

5 Likes

‪The greater-than-ever economy that’s going to get Trump reelected (the establishment media keep telling me his reelection’s a slam dunk for Baby Donnie).‬

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.