3d printed casts for a better future

It’s not. bbs sucks balls on mobile.

Multiple pieces, printed to shape and fixed around the limb then epoxied in place.

It’s not jargon, it’s a snotty way to say “one-off.”

I think this is a great development, although plaster casts are largely disappearing for the most common breaks. In general, plastic braces are replacing most of the “wrap and seal” casts for arms, legs, joints among the extremities, and so on. For example, how many people have you seen in foot casts compared to those plastic and velcro “moon boots?”

The medical community, at least to my understanding, prefers to use those open-style braces because they’re easier to fit and are much more comfortable, and a more comfortable solution leads to fewer accidental reinjuries, such as jabbing a coathanger down into a cast to scratch. However, those solutions don’t account for people with a lot of muscle or fat around the broken bone, and this solution seems like it would be even more comfortable. What’s more, the hospital would not have to keep stock of a limited number of braces, and I’d imagine these type of printed casts are safe for bathing.

The one I had recently (for a minor break–the wrist end of the radius on one arm) was pretty sexy, as far as these things go; it was like a black fabric covered bracer for my forearm, and had a knob on the top that I could tighten or loosen so that it was comfortable, but still able to keep my bones pressed together to heal. (Because of the minor nature of the break, I could also remove it when I showered, to clean both my arm and the cast, which got rid of the odor part.) With this one, I wonder if it’s really strong enough to support and protect the limb while it heals while still being as breathable and washable as he suggests.

Referring back to my earlier comment, I think that whatever worth this concept might have would require substantial modification by someone who actually knew a bit about biomechanics, and wouldn’t be surprised if an orthopedic surgeon weren’t already working on it.

You don’t need a broken limb to wear a cast. My 5th grade best friend’s husband has been wearing fetish casts (and 11 inch heels) since the early 70s.

I am reminded of how many Wikipedia articles about babies feel obliged to mention Man Babies. Because that’s relevant to my interests. I would link, but just, y’know, read Wikipedia. May I suggest the article on pacifiers?

Learn something new every day. I’d watched askance the UK Channel 4 docu on this, then the subject disappeared back into the ether years ago. Until now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.