40-hour work-week as a tool of emiserating economic growth

Is it the printer or the stuff that nobody will use?

This is not the motivation I needed while looking for a job.

It’s pretty much a myth that the French only work 4 days a week.

Here’s an article that shows that they work an average of 39.5 hours a week, less than an hour less than the EU average. And that’s all workers, unionized blue-collar and not – the office-type workers (such as those described above) work an average of 44 hours/week.

By “wild” do you mean homeless?

It’s not as fun as it sounds.*

*No, it doesn’t sound fun. But it’s even less fun than that.

xkcd 10k

There is, but not that you can live off of.

1 Like

Can’t have it both ways: Work half the time, get half the pay, seems
reasonable.

You get to decide how hard you want to work which seems to be the objective
here. Wanting to work as little as possible for the most money is not
unreasonable but however you get paid, you’ll earn more if you work more.

You hire someone at $25/hour you expect an hour’s work. You don’t expect
to get billed for two hours pay for one hour’s work.

You’re missing my point entirely. Outside of the major cities, you could live decently (if a bit frugally) working 20 hours a week at $25/hour. The thing is that, generally speaking*, no one who pays $25/hour will accept less than 40 hours. It’s easy to get 20 hours at $8.25/hour, but then you starve to death unless you’ve got another source of income.

*Yes, I’m sure there are a handful of specialized cases where you can get paid a high hourly rate for 20 hours/week. They’re not at all commonly available, though, so please don’t dig one up and then declare my entire point invalid.

2 Likes

“But the 8-hour workday is too profitable for big business, not because of the amount of work people get done in eight hours (the average office worker gets less than three hours of actual work done in 8 hours) but because it makes for such a purchase-happy public. Keeping free time scarce means people pay a lot more for convenience, gratification, and any other relief they can buy. It keeps them watching television, and its commercials. It keeps them unambitious outside of work.”

It sounds like it makes sense in retrospect but this seems like it requires to much premeditated coordination among practically all industries, making it very unlikely. If this were the true motivation, we’d see certain industries that do not rely on consumerism dismissing the 8-hour work day to maximize productivity.

Why would an industry that doesn’t rely on consumers seeking consumerist satisfaction try collude with another industry? It’s not like they all get together to make these kinds of decisions.

The sociological imagination requires the use of some abstraction. We’re talking about patterns that have developed over the course of a century.

So So true!! as a Euro born Gen x’r now and raised in Canada I was privileged to have my parents take me to several foreign places, and also travel many many local places EVERY weekend, my parents, and Dad moreso is an outdoors man type Rambo (no guns) old school dude so we were always swimming, actually I was taught to swim by being hurled into a lake at 1 year of age and he yelled swim. Same goes for bike riding, etc… Then, in my teens and again thanks to them I was forced to find full time employment at 15 and always work so I always had money to do as I wished. so me and buddies traveled to the standard places, the Carib spots, etc… never Mexico or Thailand thank God, I have had the gut feel I would never return. anyhow, having been to 25 or so places and mostly in Europe as I backpacked there alone a month after completing University ~ from Amsterdam to Greece ~ and back … alone. I try to visit all my family every 3 or so years on the Adriatic (not ITA) then and this article is right. If we all got 4 weeks paid vacation, mandatory, full benefits, health care (we do) and actually lived life and not lived for work all would be better. Life would. I used to chase the money and got it. A lot. It almost killed me. 40hour weeks? Not even close, I was at 60. and grossly underpaid and unappreciated most recently. Now retired and approaching 40 I need capital to start up my own venture. Not an easy task.

I always thought it was from Marx. His concept is also referred to, as I understand, with “immiserate.”

What was Marx’s prediction for the future of capitalism? Why, as he writes in the Communist Manifesto, the emiseration of the proletariat. The proletariat would sink deeper and deeper into poverty while the bourgeoisie ruthlessly enriched itself until the day the revolution struck and the expropriators were expropriated.

Source:

http://bad.eserver.org/issues/1999/45/myers.html

1 Like

Dang. I sincerely hope things get better for you.

1 Like

I wonder what the German word was - but I wonder idly, because I don’t speak German.

Even if it was made up by the blogosphere, that doesn’t mean that it isn’t a perfectly cromulent word. Making up words is how we embiggen the language!

2 Likes

Indeed. I’m certainly not a prescriptivist (and if that’s not a word yet, I hereby declare it one).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.