40% of Wikipedia is under threat from deletionists

You can use https://petscan.wmflabs.org/ to find intersections in the Wikipedia category system. The categories are at the bottom of an article; there is also a meta category “Articles for deletion”.

Intersecting “LGBT rights activists” with “Articles for deletion” currently gives one result, Tres Watson.

Going further up with greater search depth will start to give you false positives, since it will also descend from the “Articles for deletion” category into other, unrelated meta categories. Depth 3 on Human rights activists is still usable and yields Monique Villa, Yedha Lee, and Kim Kyong-hwan.

This will only work when the article has been categorized, though; especially for new articles this may not be the case, so one could resort to simply browsing Category:Articles_for_deletion

There is also a whole category of WikiProjects relevant for countering systemic bias!

In terms of specific policy changes, I didn’t see really much in this thread, but continuing the discussion from Watching Wikipedia's extinction event from a distance, I really like this one:

I wouldn’t know how to sell it, though. The most likely reply to be expected would be something like “we already have too few admins with experience to keep the spammers at bay, we certainly are not going to rotate them out for no good reason”.

There appears to have been an attempt to make admins recallable once, but it failed to reach a consensus,

2 Likes

this is about pedants? Sorry, I misread the whole thing, I thought it was about sexists and racists deleting 2 out of 5 articles, and also driving people out of the project with harassment.

iI have a shitty attitude about this, it is solely because this thread is no different from any other criticism of Wikipedia I have ever seen, in that the outrage of the critics tends to be inverse to their actual involvement or even interest in the project.

I fit the role nicely: the white male asshole who represents what is wrong with Wikipedia. it’s curious that I seem to have given more specific suggestions on what people could do about the issues than any of the people who tell me to

shut up and let other people talk.

I’m listening!

1 Like

And yet they won’t get involved when they constantly have to have an up hill battle against folks. Self-fulfilling prophecy: “None of these people who criticize the project do any actual work on it.” Why would they at this point if this is the kind of thing they have to fight against?

I know I gave up on bothering to even do simple edits on wikipedia articles (in areas for which I was in graduate school and could directly reference sources) when every change required a fight or was simply reverted. I figured I had better ways to do self-harm.

9 Likes

Pedantry is the method. Racism and sexism (and other bigotries) are the reasons.

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.