7 years later, Sun Microsystems cofounder Vinod Khosla loses bid to privatize public beach

Your points: (cant quote very well on ipad)

1. The author of the article stated rather sensationaly that “and then fenced off the beach and hired private security guards to chase swimmers and sunbathers off the public land”. My statement was to clarify that this was some grade A yellow spin. Actually, I think “fenced off” actually raises to the level of completely false and not spin.

2. You are technically correct that you cant do EVERYTHING with your land but this guy is not burning tires, just shutting a gate. Is he an"asshole" because he is a self made billionaire or is it because he legally bought a property and wants to enjoy it without other people running around in it? If you bought a restaurant and then converted it to an appartment, would you let old patrons come and sit in your livingroom to enjoy the beautiful ocean view they enjoyed for decades? If not would you then be an asshole? How much money automatically makes one an asshole or is it not a total but rather a delta to the one calling them an asshole?

MDub,

Since I cant reply to your reply any more ill post here as an edit. Saying that closing a gate is the same as erecting a fence around the beach is nonsensical.

The beach is, and has been, a private beach since before California even existed. Did you read any background or case filings or are you just re-readind this same bad article?

In your mind, wanting to use what you bought and paid for is greed? Please give me your home adress so that I may relieve you of your ill gotten, greed driven, purchaces that you dont deserve…

No, that’s exactly what Khosla is doing.

You are technically correct that you cant do EVERYTHING with your land but this guy is not burning tires, just shutting a gate.

Yes, and keeping the gate closed blocks access to the beach. Blocking beach access is illegal. Your point–whatever it is–is irrelevant.

Is he an"asshole" because he is a self made billionaire or is it because he legally bought a property and wants to enjoy it without other people running around in it?

He’s an asshole because he bought a piece of beachfront property knowing he’d have to allow people access to the beach, and he’s using his extreme wealth and privilege to deny people that access. Californians pay taxes to protect the beaches, maintain them, and ensure everyone can enjoy them. In keeping with that ideal, California has laws to ensure everyone has access to the beaches for which they pay taxes, and to prevent exactly what Khosla is trying to, which at its core, is greed: “I want this to be mine, and those laws shouldn’t apply to me, because I’m special.”

If you bought a restaurant and then converted it to an appartment, would you let old patrons come and sit in your livingroom to enjoy the beautiful ocean view they enjoyed for decades? If not would you then be an asshole? How much money automatically makes one an asshole or is it not a total but rather a delta to the one calling them an asshole?

The restaurant is private property. The beach is public. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Mythological beast.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.