90 percent of Tor keys can be broken by NSA: what does it mean?

This of course assumes that there are no unforeseen advancements or unforeseen (or intentional) weaknesses . I will let my daughter flood any potential tor data collections with Minecraft and My Little Pony just in case.

1 Like

Every single time I log into TOR, it reminds me to update…

If you’re not updating it, and keep seeing the reminder, you should understand why that reminder isn’t effective.

1 Like

All right, you got me. Not every single time. Often.

Unless I’m mistaken, they actually do have something to do with ellipses but it isn’t direct. They get their name from elliptic integrals.(Which are involved in computing the arc length of an ellipse.)

1 Like

In other words, you know of ten ways to guard your privacy, you refuse to use any of them, and you want to know if privacy is worth it? Clearly, it depends on who’s asking.

So … curves is not correct?

That’s fine, but what kind of intel is still useful 30 years after the fact? Can’t be a lot.

If you do decide to use TOR, plan on using it only for things that are really important to you … at least for a while. Because it’s A LOT SLOWER than what you might be used to.

Loading BB, for example, what with all of the munge it ships per page, will take 20-30 seconds -on a fast connection-.

1 Like

I know of TOR; compramised. VPNs; blocked in many UK systems (and soon all free ones). Using crypto on communications; which requires the other end to be willing to do the same (and is less relevant given my understanding that GCHQ won’t go into the body of the email without a warrant). Encrypting my drives; if the UK ever look at my drives, legally, and request my password I either comply or face 6 months. Encrypting my cloud stored documents; not being able to directly use them from the cloud or share them with others unless I run them through a decrypt or the others will use crypto. Using zero knowledge search engines; not something I have a problem with, but when my activity con be monitored does this do anything? Using incognito mode; protects me from tracking cookies (though this is not definite) and nothing else. So I know of 3 usable techniques. 2 do nothing about surveillance and only shield me from corporations and 1 only works if my network of contacts are willing to use it. Hence asking, my knowledge on these tools is limited, what I do know is about how they are being labelled as useless. So what is there?

The flip side of the fact that they can threaten you with imprisonment for failing to produce a password to an encrypted data set: strong encryption is indistinguishable from truly random data, so they can imprison you for failing (“refusing”) to hand over the password (“password”) to your set of random data (“encrypted file”).

It has become illegal in the UK to have the output of /dev/random.

Intel might not be useful, but there might be some worthwhile dirt on an individual that is worth digging up if they become an obstacle to whatever goals they are pursuing. In other words - think about how successful your political career might be 20 years from now if there was a record of every site you’ve ever looked at, every message you’ve sent, every item you’ve bought.

In an environment like that, the only people with a hope of election are those whose views do not offend the established power structure. And never have, ever. On top of that, even if you were extremely strategic in your expressed thoughts and ideas - opinions change and none of us can predict what will be in the interests of the powerful two or three decades from now.

We have that now, it’s called Facebook.

1 Like

There are plenty of things that are still classified (and have their classification enforced, rather than just sitting there until the classification expires) from 30-40 years ago. Presumably at least some of this has to do with political protection. Classification is certainly different from encryption, since it’s a purely legal mechanism for information-hiding and can be selectively ignored (such as when someone leaks a classified document through a third party and then refuses to litigate against the third party in question), but there’s some overlap between that which a government would classify and that which some not necessarily governmental agency would keep only in cyphertext form.

It’s true that few things are still meaningfully secret after thirty years. It’s also true that it is difficult to determine what secrets will be meaningful in thirty years. For instance, in 1970, were the United States to have a highly effective aerial reconnaissance program specifically for determining the state of soviet missile technology, with elements that limit its effectiveness to eastern europe and northern asia, it might be sensible to consider that worth keeping secret for fifty or more years; in 1991, more or less spontaneously, the value of pretending such a program does not exist dropped dramatically.

However, when push comes to shove, there are some thirty year old secrets that nobody cares about, and there are some thirty year old secrets that old men will kill and die for. That’s probably an indication that for some secrets, thirty year protection against decryption isn’t considered good enough (and that encryption shouldn’t have been relied upon as the sole secret-keeping mechanism).

1 Like

Facebook is not mandatory and anything I put on there is by definition intended to be public. If the NSA wants to see pics of my kids on the swings or my family at Xmas dinner that annoys me but doesn’t harm me.

If the NSA takes some forum post from 1997 that I made under a pseudonym and uses it to discredit me when I try to get my kid out of (FSM forbid) Gitmo or some other concentration camp then that would also harm me.

If only the rest of the world was as careful as you are, but I suspect that is rarely the case.

1 Like

I doubt the typical person posts everything they’ve Googled for. Out of context, there are a lot of searches that can look very bad. When I hear about someone’s searches being used against them as evidence in a trial, that’s scary.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.