A free/open computer on a card that you swap in and out of a 3D printed laptop

the use of a personal pronoun in association with “FSF Certification” is not correct. i do not “personally own” something called “an FSF Certification”

and in the future upgrade for around $50 instead of $500, indefinitely. yes.

ever. yes.

[quote] Or, I could buy an old thinkpad and get the same benefit (things just work) by running Windows on it quickly.
[/quote]

so, you’re comparing a mass-produced 2nd-hand product against a crowd-funded concept that’s just getting off the ground, running a windows OS. there’s no common ground to make this a legitimate comparison.

to make a legitimate comparison, let’s imagine that the project was funded over 10 years ago. you would have been able to buy a mass-produced 15.6in Desktop Housing about 8 years ago for around $200. 5 years ago you would have been able to pick one up second-hand for say… $60. you could choose to buy a second-hand computer card for… $10 off of ebay, or you could buy a new one for around $30, with a quad or octal-core samsung processor. you’d definitely be able to buy a $50 windows card (the z8300 atom).

that would be a more accurate scenario to compare against the example that you gave. how does that sound?

again, same incompatible comparison. to make it a valid comparison you’d have to compare this 10 years into the future (or pretend that it was funded 10 years ago), so that there exists a huge ecosystem and a thriving second-hand market in EOMA68 products.

so i appreciate you bringing up this comparison as it allows me to provide a correct (more realistic) one, so that people can see the benefits in terms of cost-savings by being able to imagine buying second-hand EOMA68 compatible products.

if you’d like to help us get to that scenario, where we can bring you octa-core computer cards and beyond, that’s what this crowd-funding campaign is for.

crowd-funding is about backing ideas, not about setting up a shop and placing orders under “contract of sale”. crowd-funding is a gift economy. you gift us, we gift you.

4 Likes