A free/open computer on a card that you swap in and out of a 3D printed laptop

Baloney. If that was the case, you wouldn’t have to offer copies of the hardware as rewards to raise your funds.

I thought you said this wasn’t about ideological purity?

It’s very simple. Computers are tools. Computing power is a direct measure of their utility as tools. You are offering to create a tool that works more poorly (is slower, does not run as many OSes), but which has been blessed by the ethical purity of open source from top to bottom. At this time, you are offering to provide these poor but ideologically pure tools in kit form for people who place no value on their time, or in assembled form for people who prefer to actually use their time using their tools rather than putting them together.

I was not trying to be hostile. As someone who does not belong to your church, I was merely observing that your proposed tools offer very poor value for the dollar to those like me who do not care much about the religion of open source or its doctrines of ideological purity. For someone who cares about having a top to bottom open platform, i am sure that the cards are very tempting (the laptop, not so much).

To insist as you did above that you are not in fact peddling ideological purity, on the other hand, is the height of disingenuousness.

1 Like