A Gmail plugin to do "emotional labor"

Yes.

5 Likes

X-Meaningless-Pleasantries header entries would have to be dropped by servers and mail clients that didn’t support them - really, it’s the gift that keeps on giving!

4 Likes

Bonus points if it can be doctored to add the occasional ‘MEATBAG’ in there…

6 Likes

FWIW, linked at the bottom of the extension’s intro page is a github repo/class that sounds interesting (and could lead to points at which the extension could be hacked to do other fun things):

This course explores the structures and systems of social interactions, identity, and self representation as mediated by technology. We will investigate ways that technology can be used to augment, subvert, alter, mediate, and ultimately deepen interaction in a lasting way.

How do the things we build and use limit and expand the way we understand and relate to each other? We’ll explore this question by building new tools and creating new situations for breaking us out of existing patterns, and discussing contextual examples from media art, performance art, psychology and pop culture. Technologies explored will include computer vision (face/body/eye tracking with openFrameworks), data representation and glitch, browser extensions and plugins (in Chrome), computer security, mobile platforms, and social automation and APIs (Facebook, Twitter, Mechanical Turk).

Students will develop projects that alter or disrupt social space in an attempt to reveal existing patterns or truths about our experiences and technologies, and possibilities for richer interactions. Different tactics for intervention and performance will be explored, first through a set of short prompts or experiments, and then through a larger, more thorough intervention.

2 Likes

Very nice!!! A lovely plugin that makes otherwise normal messages read like a Saudi Arabian teenager trying to hit on a picture of a celebrity :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Lovely xoxo learnedcoward!!!

4 Likes

I want this. Exactly

1 Like

My dearest darling,

May you perish upon making sweet beautiful love.

Warmest,
LearnedCoward

See how that sounds nicer than “fuck off and die”?

5 Likes

Well, if we’re being experimented on, it would be rude not to train our heuristic spam filters accordingly.

(Though, also bad: That’s sounds fascinating. Also too Useful For Evil.)

3 Likes

The plugin mines the emails, blog posts, online comments, and text messages of everyone in the world for sentiment, especially relating to hobbies, interests, and sexual kinks, and plays matchmaker by sending a simple, straightforward message, such as “yo, wanna fuk” from your account. What can possibly go wrong?

2 Likes

But, we already have a creepy guy in our office.

4 Likes

Now you can have one in your pocket, right where he wants to be.

3 Likes

Sorry - but we’re a union shop. It’ll need to pass the apprenticeship.

3 Likes

Pervs have a union? But they never take days off!

2 Likes

You should do what you love; that way you’re never working.

4 Likes

Just what I needed!

I had been thinking my correspondence didn’t sound enough like the words of a broken chatbot, this is the perfect fix!

Hey buddy, you better buy me dinner before you suggest things like that!

The worst has got to be when a machine apologizes to me. If the software says, “unfortunately, this error happened”, I’m OK with that, there is no false expression of regret, just anticipation that I won’t like what follows. But when a machine says “I’m sorry” to me, I figuratively want to hunt down the programmer and force them to listen/watch/read their lazy output until they themselves are truly sorry, and can tell me this I their own words!

2 Likes

I love you, and you mean the world to me. Also, call your mother.

3 Likes

Are they telling me my “Have a nice day” signature line isn’t enough?

It’s working!!!

1 Like