A look at Japan's 54,000 convenience stores

There were also these things, maybe they were also onigiri? They did not have any seaweed - it was basically a hockey puck of fried rice with a soft boiled egg in the middle, served cold.

I was a broke backpacker so 300 yen for two of those bad boys was a great breakfast.

1 Like

Yeah, basically any of those prepackaged rice balls/triangles no matter what the filling and with/without nori covering it is still considered an onigiri.

2 Likes

Denny’s menu here has nothing in common with Denny’s in the US. Your host’s description is off by a country mile, maybe they just wanted to pull your leg.

Nope. No one cares. Trumpophobia is not a thing here at all with the locals.

That was their point – apart from breakfast, their menu was nothing like American Denny’s. Can you clarify what they have?

Y’all were lucky. The nearest konbini where I lived was 40 minutes away by car.

There are few meals more nostalgic for me than a 120¥ tuna salad maki, a 300¥ tall boy of cheap happoshu beer, enjoyed on a curb with friends on a sticky summer evening.

http://www.dennys.jp

The website has a photo menu you can click through for the various categories. I hope that’s pretty self explanatory.

1 Like

What part of Scotland was he from? Hackney?

Yup! Steak, spaghetti, hamburg, and American breakfast food, just the way I remember their menu being in Japan. Good to see my host’s description was on the money.

I think he was from “It’s been a few decades and paraphrasing drunk Edinburgh Scots in text isn’t my strong suit.”

3 Likes

I just got back from Japan last week and my favorite konbini was 7-11! The coffee was cheap and so were the prepared meals! If you are budget travelling in Japan konbini are the place to eat! I loved that you could even get ties, undershirts, underwear and dress shirts at some of them! If I had to rank the ones I saw from best to less best I would have to say 7-11, Lawson, and then Family Mart. All in all they were all great and wish we had konbini like these here in the USA!

1 Like

Your trip sounds like mine! $555 for flight, $540 for AirBNB’s, & $330 for Japan Rail Pass.

2 Likes

Sounds about right! What time of year did you go? I’m thinking that you can get amazing deals on airfare if you travel in the weeks before Golden Week…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.