A portable wind turbine that weighs 3 pounds and has its own battery

I remember reading in a comic book by Joe Sacco about a similar solution created by the people under siege in Sarajevo Gorazde.

7 Likes

Hey, but it isn’t “perpetual motion”, see; I’d just use it between home and office. :thinking:

6 Likes

That was my first thought when reading about this:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90687369/this-ingenious-wall-could-harness-enough-wind-power-to-cover-your-electric-bill

3 Likes

Dynamos exist that will power your headlights. Use more than one and defy The Laws of the Universe!!

mad scientist explosion GIF

2 Likes

race escape GIF

2 Likes

At the risk of starting an airplane-on-treadmill argument, you guys are joking, right? All of those are just less efficient ways of charging the battery than doing so directly from the car’s battery or your leg power. You can’t somehow recover excess energy this way. You are creating extra drag to be overcome by the motive force propelling you into the air.

ETA: Apologies, I see this conversation has already been had in the thread. I didn’t read before posting. Never mind.

1 Like

Ah… But what if you attached it to one of those down-wind-faster-than-the-wind cars, eh, eh?

Or one of these guys: a fan on the back and a generator on the front!

1 Like

Small wind-powered generators have been around for a great while now. Ex: emergency electric generators on aircraft.

4 Likes
3 Likes

7 Likes

Battery
Turbine batteries charge when no device is connected

A lot of power pack circuits can either charge the battery or supply power from the battery, but not both at the same time, and you have to physically unplug the device to charge up the battery again.

Something to think about, depending on your application.

While other folks are right that it won’t give you free energy, but if you don’t have any other way to convert your pedal power into electricity, it still has that utility. When I was a kid we used to have a bike with a Dynamo friction generator (as mentioned by @Tamsin_Bailey above) attached to the wheel that would power a headlight on the bike. We thought it was magic. The Dynamo is probably more efficient while riding, though unlike this turbine, it stops working when you stop riding, so hooking up and hauling a turbine could still be worth it’s weight depending. If you could fold back the blades (and it looks like you can) when you don’t need it or when you have a tough climb ahead of you, even better.

4 Likes

11 Likes
3 Likes

You would have to make sure to get one with passthrough if the windmill doesn’t. The description isn’t clear.

1 Like

Oh yes, that’s just how it feels. Most of the energy must go straight into friction. I changed to a dynamo hub, and that made all the difference.

1 Like

This thing would maim or kill my dog, I’ll stick with solar…

Are you sure your dog is not an eagle? /s

(Welcome to BB.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.