A Round Up of Resistance to Trump (Part 1)

Ah, but the stationers are going to be able to make same sex couples feel “unwelcome, objectionable, unacceptable, undesirable or not solicited”.

¶44 Here, striking the second half of Section 18-4(B)(3)—which bans an owner of a place of public accommodation from making a person feel “unwelcome,” “objectionable,”
unacceptable,” and “undesirable” based on sexual orientation—does not render the remainder of the ordinance unenforceable or unworkable. Moreover, removing this clause from Section 18-4(B)(3) does not “produce a result so irrational or absurd as to compel the conclusion that an informed [drafter] would not have adopted one portion without the other.” Randolph, 195 Ariz. at 427, ¶ 15. The remainder of Section 18-4(B)(3) operates independently and is enforceable as intended. Given this construction, we need not find Section 18-4(B) unconstitutional; instead we construe the ordinance as lawfully prohibiting discriminatory speech, but allowing Appellants to disclaim personal support for same-sex marriage and to proclaim their religious beliefs. See LaFaro v. Cahill, 203 Ariz. 482, 488, ¶ 21 (App. 2002) (“We attempt to construe statutes with ‘a reasonable and constitutional meaning’ whenever possible in order to remove potential doubts regarding the statute’s viability.”)
quoting McGovern v. McGovern, 201 Ariz. 172, 178, ¶ 20 (App. 2001)).

¶45 We therefore sever the invalid portion of Section 18-4(B)(3), but leave the remainder of the ordinance intact.

It’s nicely done. Tries to thread the needle of prohibiting the discrimination while still allowing the exercise of religious freedom.

So, you have to sell same-sex couples wedding stationery but you’re free to tell them all about how God hates fags while doing so.

4 Likes
10 Likes

SRSLY? Who is the delicate dolly at Vox who was shocked by a sexist, white-supremacist wanna-be dictator being insulted? Or was it the cussing, because for fuck’s sake… When someone says something shocking, my response isn’t typically a standing ovation, but what do I know?

8 Likes

*shrugs

Pearl clutchers gonna clutch pearls.

I’m just happy Deniro had the spine to say it, again; at such a public venue.

6 Likes

Still not going to redeem him for being an anti-vaxxer, AFAIAC.

5 Likes

That’s very unfortunate and unwise of him, but I don’t really care about his redemption as much as I do anyone with a big platform using it to call 45 out.

We need as much of that as possible, and sadly it seems the masses listen to famous people more than anything else.

7 Likes

Oh, I get that. It’s good that he’s calling out 45, but not enough that I can forgive him.

4 Likes

That’s fine; some things aren’t ‘forgivable.’

4 Likes

12 Likes
4 Likes
8 Likes

Bread and circuses.
And the GOP is working hard on getting rid of the bit about the bread.

2 Likes

I’d be open to more National Holidays actually. It worked for the Romans. /s

1 Like

A hungry mob is an angry mob.

2 Likes

Yes, but their anger will be directed anywhere else but at those who actually took their bread.

1 Like

Don’t be so sure. You misunderstand the sheer magnitude of food shortage I’m thinking of.

1 Like

Wise Words

3 Likes
4 Likes

“The Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) has filed a complaint against the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), alleging it has violated federal law in failing to publish a Privacy Impact Assessment for its planned media monitoring services.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michellefabio/2018/06/12/privacy-watchdog-epic-files-complaint-against-dhs-over-journalist-database/#57bbf55155c1

4 Likes

TONS of Protests Across The U.S. In Past 3 Weeks Censored By MSM

7 Likes