A Round Up of Resistance to Trump (Part 1)

I thought he belonged to the Southern Bastard denomination?

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/ryanvizzions/status/1008392987938877440?s=21

5 Likes
7 Likes

Not sure if this holds for all of Alabama, but all the churches I’ve seen in the NW corner of the state are nearly all Methodist or Baptist.

1 Like

“These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history.”

Not that I blame her, but if she thinks this is how everyone feels about Japanese internment, she’s not been hanging around on Trumpist Twitter…

Also, her statement that America used to be all about helping people after disasters is a little bitter tasting after Katrina…

7 Likes

Kathy, I had just come here to post this… (The article, I mean.)

I was going to say that I was surprised to find out he’s a Methodist, but when you put it that way, it might not make much difference.

OTOH, the following happened in Texas, which I guess is significant:

9 Likes

Every little bit of good news counts:

8 Likes
9 Likes

“The governors of North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland and Delaware joined a growing group of states Tuesday afternoon that were pulling, or refusing to send, its National Guard members to the southern border.”

North Carolina: Gov. Roy Cooper announced in a statement that he would be recalling three members of the state’s National Guard from the border, noting, “The cruel policy of tearing children away from their parents requires a strong response.”

Virginia: Gov. Ralph Northam issued a statement announcing that he was recalling four soldiers and a helicopter “until the federal government ends its enforcement of a zero-tolerance policy that separates children from their parents.”

Maryland: Gov. Larry Hogan ordered National Guard troops to return from New Mexico this morning. Hogan tweeted that Maryland will not deploy any National Guard resources to the border until the “policy of separating children from their families has been rescinded.”

Delaware: Gov. John Carney also tweeted that today, he had received a request to send National Guard members to the southwest border, but he wouldn’t permit it. “Under normal circumstances, we wouldn’t hesitate to answer the call,” Carney tweeted. “But given what we know about the policies currently in effect at the border, I can’t in good conscience send Delawareans to help with that mission.” -CNN

More please

8 Likes

I’m still shocked that Massachusetts was the first state to react in this way.

2 Likes

Excellent. I just sent a letter to my governor in WA asking him to do the same. (For anyone wanting to follow suit, Resistbot has supported contacting governors for a while now.)

3 Likes

The stench of the Trump family separations isn’t going to fade from memory any time soon

2 Likes

Once out there, it’s out there forever.

2 Likes
11 Likes

The message is getting through:

4 Likes
6 Likes

If they follow through, then good.

Not that I want the arrests, but people need to do more than put on hats and go for a walk with signs at this point.

If you can’t risk arrest (a lot of us can’t), you can still do things. Pass on the word. Volunteer to help out someone who might get arrested. If you have the cash, be willing to post bail. Offer childcare for protest days with the understanding that it may last a while. Make arrangements to drive people to the polls in November, especially those who are going to be disadvantaged by the system. Help people check to see if they’re registered to vote, and if they’re not, help them get registered. Teach your children why what’s going on isn’t acceptable.

Time is running out. There’s no room for “I’ll get around to it later.” Prepare for a long and hard fight, and prepare to fight it any way you can. DO. NOT. GIVE. UP. Grab hold of the arc of history and yank hard.

Oh, and if you’re a white, cis, heterosexual, and/or political neophyte (like many of us are)? Listen¹ to POCs and those in the LGBT+ community – don’t talk, listen. They are the veterans in these wars. The reason we’re here is because we haven’t been listening. Don’t just hear, listen. Learn. Support.

This is only the beginning.

¹This does not mean badgering POCs or someone in the LGBT+ community. It simply means listening to those who are speaking and genuinely considering what they have to say. Because they have been doing this a long time – generations, even – and have learned more than a few things in the process.

13 Likes

The @Wanderfound Campaign for Humanity endorses the above post.

If I might make one addition, though…

A major theme of recent events has been the liberal centre finally coming around to what the radical left has been shouting ever since Trump first appeared: yes, they are fascists, yes, this is for real, no, it isn’t going to go away on its own.

So perhaps folks might take the radicals a bit more seriously from now on, so we don’t have another year of wasted opportunities? And make an effort to cast their view a bit wider than the current border crisis?

Yemen is starving, and war with Iran is on the horizon. Not in 2020, now.

7 Likes

Something else you can do:

Rent a house or a room/suite in your place out for ABnB? Waive the costs for protesters. Tell the government “no” if they ask if you have space for them.

Learn First Aid. Learn how to treat tear gas. Keep an emergency kit with you. Have some basic analgesics and some water on hand, in case someone needs them and doesn’t have any. Be willing to sacrifice your upholstery if someone needs a ride to a hospital. Small things it may seem, but every bit of support helps.

10 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/SmashRacismDC/status/1009234229899792385?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fslate.com%2Fnews-and-politics%2F2018%2F06%2Fdhs-secretary-kirstjen-nielsen-heckled-out-of-a-mexican-restaurant-by-protesters.html

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1009314245828210689?s=21

7 Likes