A Round Up of Resistance to Trump (Part 1)

Then the George Takei joke was kinda shitty. Getting our hopes up about a replacement for Nunes when there is no such replacement.

9 Likes

He could be flying a kite, to see if people would support it, and if it isn’t popular he could claim that it was an April fools joke.

More likely is that it is a joke, which would be a shame.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, Nunes gets a solid 70% of the vote in every election.
Need a moderate Republican that can primary him…

11 Likes

We’ll see… this is north suburbs, which is not nearly as white as it used to be.

8 Likes

Fingers crossed!

I saw Trump didn’t win the district by much. A lot less than Price’s personal margin.

If Ossoff gets over the 50% in this first round, obviously he wins. If it goes to a runoff I’m less confident.

And who wouldn’t want to vote for a guy with Han Solo cosplay videos out there?

9 Likes

This Danish job website mocks Trump: https://www.jobindex.dk/jobannonce/korrektur/259011

The last US ambassador was hugely popular. Trump, not so much.

12 Likes

That was hilarious!

8 Likes

And completely plausible.

4 Likes

This is worse than that Firefly revival posted a few AF Days ago.

I always do second-level AF jokes. That is, I play on peoples’ paranoia by limiting myself to doing nice things all day.

One year at work, I brought in a container of candy rocks (think M&Ms, bits of chocolate with candy shells, but instead of little discs, they’re shaped and coloured like polished river rocks).

Everyone was extraordinarily leery of biting down, even though it was legitimately all real candy.

6 Likes

I didn’t see that one, and I’m kinda glad LOL. Some things are just too much.

4 Likes

Here it is:
THIS IS AN APRIL FOOL’S JOKE DO NOT ACTUALLY GET YOUR HOPES UP.

10 Likes

Curse their sudden but inevitable betrayal! (Thanks for the warning, I didn’t actually get any hopes up.)

7 Likes

Are you sure that isn’t playing on paranoia? If I have my numbers right, Firefly ended about 14 years ago, and the length of time between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace was about 16 years. At what point does making new episodes go from being something fans anticipate to something they should dread?

6 Likes

OTOH, how long has it been since Army of Darkness?

3 Likes

personally? May 26, 2013

I actually feel like that day freed me from revival-pining for life…

3 Likes

Good thing? What are the repercussions?

"…Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican majority leader, had pledged to seat Judge Gorsuch by any means required, “even if that means forever damaging the United States Senate.”

And (Leahy) wondered aloud how the Senate had become so unrecognizable to him.

“I cannot vote solely to protect an institution when the rights of hard-working Americans are at risk,” Mr. Leahy said. “Because I fear that the Senate I would be defending no longer exists.”

8 Likes

I don’t understand why the Democrats wouldn’t filibuster (in general - I do understand why those Senate Dems who represent Trumpistan and are up for re-election in 2018 might be more concilatory).

The Republicans are just an obstructionist party. They were before, they will be again. It’s idiotic to work with them. The system is already broken. The parties are too far apart and that’s that. They don’t have a single argument that the Democrats should help Gorsuch be seated that doesn’t show the Republicans for being hypocrites for the way they treated Garland.

This idea that they’ll break the way the Senate works is rubbish. If they cave now, if wouldn’t stop the GOP breaking the filibust next time if they want to get Scalia Mk.3 to replace RBG, say. If they want to do it, they will. If the Republicans think it’s something that shouldn’t be done, they shouldn’t do it.

The GOP broke it by the way they behaved under Obama, this is their problem. I see no reason for the Democrats to do anything but obstruct and block everything until the mid-terms. If the GOP don’t like it, they can take the higher ground and try offering some concessions.

20 Likes

It’s too hopeful, I know, but I thought it was nice to say anyway.

16 Likes

I think the “nuclear option” nonsense holds the same water as “repeal and replace Obamacare.”

3 Likes
21 Likes