A Round Up of Resistance to Trump (Part 1)

Yeah that was in pretty poor taste. Gloating is what the other guys do.

4 Likes

I dunno. As humans, gloating is kind of what we do.

It’s what they were gloating about that galls me.

1 Like

Not only were they making their usual tone-deaf show of plutocratic cluelessness, they were also wrong.

It doesn’t matter how much coastal Dems hate the TrumpGOP. They can’t vote in North Carolina etc (and, increasingly, neither can urban Dems in those places).

So long as the GOP retain their base and control of the electoral process in the red states, they’ll retain power, no matter what majority opinion says.

6 Likes

For people are never less likely to change, to convert to new ways of thinking or acting, than when it means joining the ranks of their denouncers.

To expect otherwise, “to have expected them not to meet denunciation with denunciation … and anathema with anathema, was to expect a reversal of human nature,” Lincoln explained. “If you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend. Therein is a drop of honey that catches his heart, which, say what he will, is the great highroad to his reason, and when once gained, you will find but little trouble in convincing his judgment of the justice of your cause.”

However, Lincoln cautioned, dictate to a man’s judgment, command his action, or mark him to be despised, “and he will retreat within himself, close all the avenues to his head and his heart. And even though your cause be naked truth itself, transformed to the heaviest lance, harder than steel, and sharper than steel can be made, and though you throw it with more than Herculean force and precision, you shall be no more be able to pierce him, than to penetrate the hard shell of a tortoise with a rye straw.”

4 Likes

That article is wretched.

1 Like

Why do you think that? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I read the top half of the article a lot more closely than the bottom. Mostly I just liked the quote and felt like I should post the article it came from.

1 Like

The quote you pulled is the first of seven points, and it gets worse with each point.

1. don’t condemn your opposition
  2. by trying to not normalize something you censoring speech about it
  3. boy liberals love finding new “morals” to ostracize people with and refuse to even say what the new morality even is
  4. “Issues of social justice have been understood by large parts of the populace as essentially elite manners… Those two things are bound together. So if you watch a farce, the person at the dinner party who doesn’t know which fork to use, that’s who you root for. And in our politics a huge part of the population has understood what I think are––what are––genuine struggles for social justice and equality as essentially elite manners.”
  5. liberals love to fight about things, but are not interested in winning which is most important
  6. liberals have unjustifiably pushed white people under a blanket umbrella of privilege, and they need to be more sensitive to shared injustice rather than pointing out why minorities have less when there are struggling white people.

And the end is a public call for more critiques of the left with a promise of additional articles exploring how the work of Richard Rorty can be applied to liberals.

8 Likes

Wow. Yeah. Is this the monologue that the FCC are investigating?

7 Likes

Personally, I think that Colbert’s “cock holster” bit needs to be added to the Man-Made Monument to Humor.

4 Likes

Apparently, puns are involved.

10 Likes

Help Wanted

“A group of technologists who worked under President Obama have formed an organization—Higher Ground Labs—to fund and mentor early-stage startups focused on politics. The goal is to help make the type of tech tools found in national political campaigns available off-season to left-leaning candidates in local and state elections”

6 Likes

"Unpopular"

4 Likes
11 Likes

Breaking news:

“The president has accepted the recommendation of the Attorney General and the deputy Attorney General regarding the dismissal of the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation,” White House press secretary Sean Spicer told reporters in the briefing room.

And in related news:

Would you like to see civil rights for everybody? How about clean drinking water? Make your suggestions as to how fivethirtyeight.com should be tracking Trump’s success or failure. #MAGA
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-you-think-we-should-be-tracking-trump/

5 Likes

And the other shoe drops:

ETA: The #MarchForTruth is Saturday, June 3rd, 2017

9 Likes

This is old news but:

4 Likes

Bookmark worthy:

https://securedrop.org/directory

SecureDrop is an open-source whistleblower submission system that media organizations can install to securely accept documents from anonymous sources. It was originally coded by the late Aaron Swartz and is now managed by Freedom of the Press Foundation.”

7 Likes

And the backlash begins in earnest.

12 Likes

I think McCain and Graham were sending Trump a message with that one. Perhaps S. Collins as well but I don’t know her modis.

2 Likes

Well a couple months ago we went from the GOP having two Democrats in their voting pocket to publicly losing those votes and three more GOP votes. McCain actually was seen on the floor of the Senate arguing with GOP senators, only to break away, vote, and then leave the Senate.

5 Likes