A science-fiction-inspired desktop UI for your Lin/Win/Mac system

OMG!

That’s funny. It was dead black, and when a few /. readers piled on with insults, I changed it to that just to be difficult. OMG, because that was a couple of years ago. (My home page doesn’t get a lot of traffic since I started another one with my own domain at brander.ca, where I’d thrown in the towel and gone to dark-on-light.)

Thanks. I changed it back to black.

The one around that time everybody liked was I did the editorials for the Unix newsletter in yellow-on-black, suggesting an old monitor.
[ http://www.cuug.ab.ca/CUUGer/9605/editoral.html ]
…my often-mocked “prediction” (actually a reporting of Scientific American’s prediction) of the End of Moore’s Law, starting in the mid-2000’s decade. It’s my only writing that any periodical ever reprinted, except for one essay on the Titanic, right after the movie came out.

2 Likes

In the days of 80x25 text mode with thick/large BIOS/OEM fonts, it was a standard that worked ok (things like QBASIC, Wordperfect, Turbo Pascal all used it), although at the time that was on dark blue. But monitors and fonts were different back then.

Fonts from The Ultimate Oldschool PC Font Pack: Font Index could be used for something like that.

How is this grimdark?

Or are you confusing “thematically dark” with “dark-colored”?

Maybe if they were, I dunno, making an impractical sci-fi inspired interface for fun.

Jesus, you guys are killjoys sometimes.

Anyone know how to get Windows to read out a line graph of CPU, disk usage, network traffic, etc. like this thing does? I don’t need the whole UI, but that much would be very handy.

yes, that’s the joke.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.