A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Yeah… losing your bearings mid-air while doing a feat like that sounds utterly terrifying.

All her critics can go step on a whole city of legos, barefoot.

21 Likes

The sense of entitlement that some of the commentators have, the absolute sense of ownership they seem to have over Simone Biles, is appalling. She doesn’t owe anybody shit. Anything that her family, her sponsors or her country has given to her she’s paid back many times over and the only reason she should be competing is if she wants to.

This idea that somehow the Olympic athletes belong to their countries simply because the event structures teams that way is one reason that the event should probably just stop existing. These are not soldiers in a war. The United States is not a great country because it gets the most medals. If the US gets fewer medals because an athlete decides they don’t want to compete that has no negative repercussions for anyone.

8 Likes

More on the history of Black gymnasts…

12 Likes

This is heartbreaking…

17 Likes

This is so gruesome:

His Needs, Her Needs included a quote from a man who complained “I feel like a fool—like I’m begging her or even raping her, but I can’t help it. I need to make love!” As Gregoire and her co-authors write, “We are supposed to have sympathy for the man who feels like he’s raping his wife, but not for the woman enduring it.”

Someone has to let men know that if you don’t want to feel like a rapist you should stop raping people.

20 Likes

snl yes GIF

13 Likes

That was an incredibly painful read. For a church that likes to portray itself as all about love and caring, it has a half the world sized blindspot about who that should apply to.

12 Likes

That’s not a blind spot. For many evangelicals, their vision is crystal clear. Women are property of the men and have no rights themselves.

See: prosecution of miscarriages

14 Likes

That’s true. All you have to do is look at “human” as “limited to males.” I mean, they talk about Sons of God, but never Daughters of God. The only reason gyno-Christians are tolerated is their role in making little male Christians. Otherwise, they are seen primarily as a threat or as a possession. I do identify as a Christian, but there are those who make me deeply resent their existence.

16 Likes

Hope she wins, because the struggle over female-led films and equal pay continues:

14 Likes

Notice that the pink masks are being worn by competitors on the MEN’S fencing team. Allies for the win!

17 Likes

What in the actual fuck, Michael Che…

Holy fucking shit, dude!

15 Likes

Attention seeking asshole.

13 Likes

And he’s doing the whole “I was hacked, my bad” routine… nah. We see you, asshole.

14 Likes

disgusted excuse me GIF

10 Likes
25 Likes

Charlotte is my new hero of the day…

18 Likes

I hope she had fun crafting that email. It has an HR tone, but is chock full of sick burn! :heart_eyes:

15 Likes

You know snark is my thing; that reply was a masterpiece.

13 Likes

24 Likes