A thread of our own- misogyny

adventure time table flip GIF

21 Likes

One more time…ALCOHOL IS NOT A LEGITIMATE EXCUSE FOR PREDATORY BEHAVIOR.

18 Likes

Exactly! Neither is youth.

17 Likes

Holy shit…
Yet another white male standing up for the right of another white male to rape anyone he chooses.

i dont want to live on this planet anymore GIF

19 Likes

There is so much there to be infuriated about. “He was young,” and “he had no prior record,” seem like, well, he had to start some time, right? WTF?
And I wonder if that judge would feel like “almost 5 months” in jail is enough if it were his wife or sister or daughter this had happened to?
(ETA: or himself!)
And, to @knoxblox ’s comment, holy shit. Can you imagine if someone stole an identity and cleaned out a bank account, if the defense was, “well, that victim had been drinking at the time”?!?
This judge just basically proved that he will not operate within the laws of his state. He should be de-benched, or whatever it is that happens to judges.

18 Likes

If someone assaulted the judge and broke his jaw - no harm/no foul - he was drinking.

16 Likes

Or, I mean, if the judge had one too many scotch and sodas at the club and woke up being raped, I’m sure he would feel like “almost 5 months” was an adequate sentence. As long as the assailant was “young” I guess?

16 Likes

Well, THAT would be different, in that it would be a crime against him, a man, by violating “his” women… but this is just some random girl, so it hardly matters… /s

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

I can think of something we can do with a bench that involves that judge…

13 Likes

Apparently, he’s not a fan of negative feedback on social media:

I get the feeling he’s about to become very upset… :imp:

15 Likes

15 Likes
20 Likes

“Boys will only read about boys” seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. As a young girl I was often confronted about not liking girly things. It must be harder for boys, since the current explanation for boys who like “girly” things is that they must be gay, as though sparkles could affect who you want to sleep with, and being gay is still something many people use as an insult.

13 Likes

Totally. I remember even as a young kid realizing that it seemed really unfair that it was okay for me to be a tomboy, but it wasn’t okay for a boy to be into more typically girly things. I understand the background better now, but it’s still so unfair to the kids.
@chgoliz - I liked that linked article. I hadn’t heard of that author before, but just got one of her books from CloudLibrary. Some relaxing kid lit on a frigid weekend sounds really nice! Thanks.

14 Likes

My daughter loves the Princess in Black series by Shannon Hale. She’s got a couple of those books and reads them all the time.

More on topic, though, it’s such a shame that boys are discouraged like that. One of my daughter’s cousin’s dad is like this. He very quickly put an end to his love on My Little Ponies because “it’s for little girls and I don’t want him watching it.” I almost lost it on him when he said because it’s such a bullshit attitude that’s only going to damage his kid.

It was a common theme, as well, when I wrote for kids. Publishers were always very careful to make sure their books were clearly aimed at either boys (adventure-y books about wilderness survival or getting in trouble) or girls (horses, etc.). Heck, most of the success I had early on was because I was a guy who wrote for kids and that was something industry needed at the time, especially in the reluctant reader space.

16 Likes

One of my absolute favorite bits in Moonrise Kingdom is when Suzy is reading to the scouts from an adventure book with a female protagonist. She stops to see if they (all boys) want her to go on, and they all nod in rapt attention. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming:

8 Likes

I know most women who suffer from misogynistic violence live with the abuser but random male violence still exists and when a man murders a woman more or less at random society is shocked. Yesterday Ashling Murphy, a young teacher and trad musician was out jogging along a canal at 4pm. You imagine it was at four so that it would still be bright. She was savagely beaten by a man she didn’t know, he was interrupted by a group of women but she still died.

The path she was running was called Fiona’s Way after Fiona Pender who disappeared in 1996.

People are thinking of other women brutally attacked and killed by men and dealing with men in their mentions belittling women’s fear and anger.

Cross posted from Fuck Today.

updated: the man in custody was just some randomer at the scene it seems.

16 Likes

The law required the judge to sentence the kid to 4 years in jail. Since the judge didn’t want to do that [good kid, suffered enough, blah blah] he changed the ruling to “not guilty.”

16 Likes

Female Founders Raised Just 2% of Venture Capital Money in 2021

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/women-founders-raised-just-2-of-venture-capital-money-last-year

14 Likes

I do not have enough middle fingers to raise:

21 Likes