A thread of our own- misogyny

16 Likes
14 Likes

This is so sad. This woman was living a pregnancy nightmare and because of our fucked up laws, she had to endure even worse

Sad Cat GIF by ciervo-blanco

19 Likes

Brittany Spears is 40?!?!

10 Likes

doctor who GIF

Hit Me Baby, One More Time came out in 1998…

14 Likes
13 Likes
13 Likes

Journalist who lost an eye due to police shooting her with a rubber bullet while she was covering the George Floyd protests.

21 Likes

Due to the international uproar caused by the US Supreme Court seeking to end women’s rights to healthcare in the US a long bubbling issue broke into a full blown political crisis in Ireland. We are building a new national maternity hospital, it was recommended that it share a location with another hospital. The catholic church owns that land. You can see where this is going. The Sisters of Shame and Embedded Patriarchy created a new legal entity to own the land and the proposal is to lease the land to the state for 300 years at a nominal rent. But there are clauses and the agreement says the hospital will perform any procedure that is legal and “clinically appropriate” which is not a legal term in Ireland. It’s therefore something that can have differences in opinion. The kind of difference of opinion on what was clinically appropriate that killed Savita Halappanavar in 2012.

I’ve also encountered worrying use of the term in a case before the European Court of Human Rights

(d) The International Study Group of the World Association of Perinatal Medicine

“A pregnant woman did indeed have the right to decide and control what happened to her body during pregnancy and delivery. However, a more clinically appropriate view was that the physician or midwife had an independent obligation, as a matter of professional integrity, to protect pregnant, foetal and neonatal patients. Their role was to identify and present medically reasonable alternatives for the management of pregnancy, in other words clinical management for which there was an evidence base of net clinical benefit.”

In other words a medical professional can override a woman or pregnant person’s healthcare choices by declaring that the foetus is their patient. This may not be intended in this instance as a sinister curtailment of rights, but in the hands of the Sisters of Slaughter you can bet your fucking life it will be.

The fight’s not over. If you are Irish and you have a government TD in your constituency can you please ring them or call into the constituency office? I mean send all those rote emails you want, but talk to them face to face, look them in the eye and make it clear just how vital this is. And see you outside the Dáil on Saturday at 2pm.

EDIT

I’m pretty hopeful at this point.

20 Likes
17 Likes

This seems to be the go-to threat for some men. The denial that this is a pervasive problem makes it more difficult to address, which is by design. It goes along with the professed disbelief that they know any perpetrators or victims:

18 Likes

Rape is rape.

15 Likes
15 Likes

The statues are beautiful and disturbing, as I am sure was intended

16 Likes

A Twitter user compared Dr. Sims to Dr. Mengele. Generally, these comparisons with Nazism are unfounded, but in this case it fits well. Slaves, especially women, were not even considered people, human beings.

13 Likes

and @Kii, while I understand the word, somehow “bondswomen” seems to soft-pedal the actual situation these women were in. Also, how long till these statues are subject to “No CRT” protests?

15 Likes

This. Same for the Legacy Museum in Montgomery.

12 Likes

These people are scary. I mean really, really scary.

13 Likes
15 Likes

Makes sense to me.

19 Likes