A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

16 Likes

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

10 Likes
13 Likes
10 Likes

I call articles like this “pseudo-news”

It can’t be confirmed because there is nothing to confirm—nothing has happened yet, and if nothing ever happens the headline will still be “true”

15 Likes

Good term. I hate this kind of article. So-and-so said they’re doing something, or said that a certain thing happened, without any of the necessary reporting to include things like, well, are they actually doing that thing, or did that certain thing actually happen?

10 Likes
16 Likes
17 Likes
17 Likes

20 Likes

Pretty much this. Sigh…

10 Likes

I don’t know about other women, but I am… Somedays, I can barely contain it.

Animated GIF

15 Likes

IMO, that characterization of emotions as negative needs to die in a fire, too. Especially the framing that when women express it, that’s a problem. Meanwhile, shouty men (looking at you in SCOTUS) are described as being passionate about issues. :roll_eyes:

It’s better to get angry and motivated to take action than to be unmoved or passive - especially when faced with increasing injustice, attacks, and erosion of our rights. We will need to channel that rage to push pols and businesses to enact laws and policies for better wages, childcare, and leave time. Otherwise, they’ll just return to their pre-pandemic ways as though nothing is wrong.

International Womens Day Protests GIF

15 Likes

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

12 Likes

Exactly, and why it is so important in certain circles to make sure women are kept unmoved and passive. So much easier to control that way.

12 Likes

11 Likes
13 Likes

That is some creepy shit.

14 Likes

I’m doing end of year reviews currently. I have one engineer who had interned for a few years and has been a full time employee for about 18 months. This year she was the top-rated engineer in her grade so she got the highest raise allowable. Unfortunately this only brought her pay up to a level just below that of two male engineers who were hired at her grade four months ago. She was probably making around 8% less than them before raises. I did not hire any of these engineers myself, to be clear.

Thankfully I was able to jockey for some extra cash for her, and she will be promoted in the new year. But holy cow.

21 Likes

Creepy? Fucking horrifying! And yet, not terribly uncommon in various iterations. Stupid fucking timeline.

12 Likes