A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

I hope Glenn Greenwald learns a valuable lesson from this incident but I’m not particularly optimistic.

“OK, I admit I was abusive to my ex-girlfriend but I take umbrage that she’s claiming I choked her when I actually smacked her and also we were drunk so who can really say what happened…”

Character is destiny.

ETA: Oh, and the abusive little freak is still in the race after all and heavily favored to win since there’s not even going to be any other names on the ballot (it’s such a safe district for Democrats that no Republican even filed in the primary). The only hope is that someone else mounts a successful write-in campaign.

13 Likes

Unsurprisingly Brexit Bro is gonna bro…

23 Likes

cillian-murphy-wat

7 Likes

I don’t think this is how the DOJ is supposed to work?

11 Likes

I believe we, the people, must owe Bill Clinton some legal expenses, then, yeah*?

[*No, actually, we do not. This is so ridiculously illegal that even Moscow Mitch must feel at least a tiny pang of guilt for doing nothing to stop it.]

13 Likes

Some (sort of) good news for a change:

Why sort of? The charges date back to 1993!

13 Likes
16 Likes

This kind of thing is sadly very common. Endometriosis and dysmenorrhea, as well as ovarian cysts treatments are frequently lumped under “fertility” treatments and either denied outright or subject to higher copays and other restrictions. Not to mention (in my field) trying to explain to an irate father that treating his daughter’s excruciating pain is not going to “make her a slut.” It’s almost as if women are only valued as baby factories, and not as actual humans. Weird, eh?

19 Likes

peep-show-hans-bullshit

Also, my sister was on birth control from about 15 or 16 due to endometriosis, and I’m fairly certain that didn’t make her a slut. She was/is pretty Christian, so…

12 Likes

Hm.

She should have just popped her titties out and pushed passed the person at the door.

16 Likes

WTH is happening? :astonished: Sure, nationalism has been on the rise in Europe, but now I have to wonder if there’s some conservative movement taking over in France, of all places. Oh, I cannot wait to talk about this with my ex-pat buddies - all of whom are women.

10 Likes

I mean, the national front did awfully well in the last few election cycles, running on essentially xenophobia… Marine Le Pen is still a prominent national figure, and her dad was a literally nazi (essentially). And Macron likes to paint himself as a progressive, but his politics are pretty much straight up neo-liberal centrism.

I think we all think of France as very left wing, but there is a really strong traditionalist, conservative strain in French politics as well. As much as it’s the home of the Paris Commune, May 68, and strong labor movement, it’s also the home of the Dreyfus Affair, that dumbass burka ban, and suburban ghettos for Afro-French immigrants.

And French culture has always been deeply patriarchal and misogynistic.

15 Likes

I mean the Musée d’Orsay, they’ve got Courbet’s origin of the world in there. Which is among other things a satire on the hypocritical convention of western Art “nudes”. It’s a genuinely wonderful self own from the museum.

11 Likes

Crazy, isn’t it…

Marina Ambramovic talking about that painting… spoiler blurred, since the still has it in the background… although is anyone IN their office anymore?

12 Likes

Thus why this thread exists. The width and breadth of misogyny is exhausting to deal with.

13 Likes

abramovic is, to me, one of the most important artists living and practicing. indeed, one of the most profound of the 20th and 21st centuries. although I tend to work through somewhat different themes than she does, her art of endurance is one of the sources which has informed my “if a tree falls . . .” project which is still ongoing seven years since it began. i don’t mean to promote myself over the overarching theme of this thread but i owe abramovic a spiritual debt i can only repay by following through with what i started.

from 2013–

from 2019–

10 Likes

That’s beautiful art, thanks for sharing.

Abramovic is amazing! The importance of her body of work reminds me of important understanding Yugoslavia is in modern history.

8 Likes

This amused me greatly this morning.

14 Likes

12 Likes

“ But to Giuffre, Lang was Epstein’s personal chef and someone she considered a friend. Lang sneaked pizza to her after Epstein—who controlled the diets of women he abused to keep them prepubescent-thin—fell asleep upstairs.”

12 Likes