A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

14 Likes

You know really I don’t find his female characters that empowered even, it’s more just like they seemed so in comparison with other things from that era like Ally McBeal. But a lot of “strong girl” tropes from shows like that basically amount to shifting a story from shaming non-conventional femininity to shaming conventional femininity. So either way it still pretty much upholds the status quo in that the underlying message remains misogynistic in some way.

13 Likes

I just came here to see if this was being discussed, and, well, fuck. For someone that built a career around portrayals of female empowerment, that he was such a misogynistic scumbag behind the scenes is deeply troubling.

11 Likes

And here, for all to see, is the end result of the right’s war on women. If you are pregnant, your body belongs to the father and he can decide what you may do with it.

Tenn. lawmakers introduce controversial abortion bill (aol.com)

19 Likes

Jesus fucking wept. This law will be a weapon in the hands of rapists.

13 Likes

But…this is so messed up. Could he also require that she get an abortion? Is it not about abortion at all, but about controlling women’s bodies??? Who ever would’ve known? (ultimate /s, if needed)

9 Likes

“No DNA test required”; I can’t fathom how that’s even remotely constitutional.

What heinous fuckers.

15 Likes

Or, maybe not the fuckers. No DNA, no proof, right?
Gad.

4 Likes

No DNA test to force the birth, then get the DNA test to deny the child support. Works beautifully, right?

13 Likes

I have no words that would not get modded.

14 Likes

It’s no surprise it’s coming from Tennessee – there’s a long tradition of them floating evil and disgusting anti-abortion trial balloons only to have them struck down. I have little doubt this will be struck down as unconstitutional, which only makes me wonder what’s next. You have to get authorization from the county clerk to get an abortion? All abortions must be livestreamed on the Internet? Doesn’t seem like anything’s off the table for these fucking people.

9 Likes
15 Likes

13 Likes

Immediately after he signed the bill, a group of legislators and members of the public, standing shoulder to shoulder and wearing masks to protect against the coronavirus, began singing the words “Praise God” to the tune of “Amazing Grace.”

Fucking gross.

14 Likes

Right? Amazing grace is three syllables, but praise Gawd is only two. Idiots.

18 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Toxic Masculinity

A creep gets taken down:

11 Likes

:roll_eyes: David Sedaris’ brand of humor…send in the crones:

5 Likes

19 Likes

And did you see what he was wearing? :roll_eyes:

14 Likes