A yard sale customer who bought a small bowl for $35 found out it's worth up to $500,000

Thanks for this. Both of these are ridiculously annoying and entirely unhelpful “conventions”–the hyphenation equivalent of just throwing one or two quotation marks somewhere near a two-digit number to indicate a year. (On that score, I’ve seen both “21” and 21’ recently…)

2 Likes

Fake news. They don’t have “yard sales” (or “garage sales”) in Connecticut. They have “tag sales.”

1 Like

Wow. You have a Maria Martinez? Totally jealous.

(things I would buy if I could afford them…)

Yeah, there really seems to be no accounting for what people are thinking during this process. When my mom died and my dad sold the house, my brother randomly showed up one day to help dad clean things out and found boxes of our family photos, some going back several generations, in the dumpster. They were rescued. On the other end of the spectrum, dad called me a couple weeks later and told me to bring my pickup, he had a few things he wanted me to store in my basement. I ended up having to rent a 16 foot U-Haul for a lot of very marginal shit, some of it still down there 20 years later.

1 Like

No, no, no. The important thing is to get as much as you can selling a cultural artifact that belongs in a museum to some coked up Caligula who will hoard on his super-yacht. /s

2 Likes

People see it used adjectivally (the six-year-old child) and think it should be like that wherever that string of words appears. It’s just grammatical ignorance compounded by the far greater visibility of bad writing to be copied, and far greater opportunities for the same to be created, that are afforded by the internet.

1 Like

I got it by pure luck (ebay auction closing at a weird time when I could watch it close) relatively cheap. It’s small and a little scuffed up, but it is an example of her work. I can’t justify spending $3500 for one of the lovely big pieces she worked on with Julian, Santana, or Popovi Da.

1 Like

I’ve got some small pieces purchased directly from current artists (including a cute little seed pot purchased about 30 years ago from a little girl who was hanging off of Mom when we were buying a cool pot with a feather and water serpent pattern, she’s now grown into a respected potter in her own right), but I walk by the gallery windows drooling over some of the work I see in them.

Definitely document your pot well, and make sure there’s a plan for it. Would be a shame (for your family) to see someone get it for $5 at a garage sale…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.