Adding a bit of asphalt speeds lithium battery charging by 20 times

I wouldn’t bet on it!

It sure does. I have recently (last 13 years) managed to mostly live where a car is not a necessity.

It’s a false equivalency; you aren’t my child, you didn’t grow up in my children’s place or circumstances. Some people would say you were more privileged but that’s simply a different set of unwarranted assumptions.

There are no sidewalks, road shoulders, or public transportation here. Getting anywhere without pointless risk involves wading streams, bushwhacking through underbrush, climbing steep slopes, and multiple acts of trespass.

Yeah, I know. We all live in different circumstances. I tried to choose mine to reduce my dependency on cars. I have no intention of providing motor vehicles for our two teenage sons. YMMV.

1 Like

Then let’s simply agree that “better options” are relative. :slight_smile: I’m outta here for today!

Yeah, no hard feelings. We’re all different and I wasn’t actually trying to be critical of your choices. I’m just stirring the pot a bit, but I am always happy to challenge the assumption that private cars are the only way.

1 Like

Actually no, but I do have a teenager who often forgets to plug in phones/tablets/… (Anything with a battery and a cord)

I just figured that it would work out that way.

2 Likes

Tell that to the millions of folks who live in cities and park on streets or large parking structures where they have no access to an outlet at night. A gas station-like experience where you pull-up and charge within a few minutes is what would allow deeper acceptance of electric cars in these places.

Around here (Los Angeles), the local mall has a 10-15 space Tesla supercharger location. In the evenings, I regularly see a line of people waiting to get their cars charged. After talking to an owner of one of the cars, he noted that many folks in LA rely nearly 100% on the supercharger locations to keep their cars topped up with electrons. Every few evenings, they plug the car in at the mall, go inside and eat dinner with their significant others and come out to a charged vehicle. It costs an hour plus a crappy mall meal to fuel up with a Tesla in LA when you live without a private garage.

You won’t get wide adoption here (in large cities) with that arrangement. The charge time needs to go down to 15 mins or less to increase throughput at the charging locations and the energy density still needs to double once or twice more so you visit the charger less often.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.