Adobe: to read the Terms of Use, you must agree to the Terms of Use (Update: bug, fixed)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/05/adobe-to-read-the-terms-of-us.html

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me when I opened Photoshop yesterday. I rationalized it as, “They already have you over a barrel. So what if the cork is poking your belly,” and clicked “agree.” Fuck it.

4 Likes

They’ve really upped their game!

The next level is not even letting you onto their website until you read the terms of service inside their application.

3 Likes

That is actually happening here, I think. The app takes you to the web to read the T&C, and the website isn’t letting me read it until I agree to the T&C.

8 Likes

Adobe first screwed me over when they bought Cool Edit 2000, revised the interface (added no new features) and wanted to charge me $40 for the update. I barely paid that for it originally. Now I see they renamed it Audition and want $21 a month. Thank goodness for Okular that does everything I want from Acrobat.

3 Likes

Shit like this is why people either outright refuse to use Adobe products, or turn to piracy.

8 Likes

Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher are on sale. May they scoop out the soft, exposed belly of the Adobeast.

4 Likes

I’ll just stick with using GIMP and Inkscape.

14 Likes

Can’t you just send them an email, “By including a Terms of use in the software, you agree to pay me $1billion”?

6 Likes

kafkaesque

4 Likes

Photoshop is lovely, but way too pricey for a hobbyist like me. I did use it back in PS7 days, when I was considering becoming a Web designer, but never got far enough into it to justify paying the big bucks for upgrades. There are a handful of things about it I miss, mainly ImageReady for gif work and layer styles, but I can’t see myself going back to it now.

These days I tinker with my tablet more than my laptop. Between Autodesk Sketchbook, dev.macgyver’s Photo Editor, and EZGif.com, I can do almost everything I want to do, at a very low cost. (I paid to make Photo Editor ad-free, and to support the developer… but it was only a few bucks. The ad-supported version has all features enabled.)

3 Likes

So even beyond the question of reading it, the website could say anything?

It could say something else tomorrow, you can’t prove what you “agreed” to?

8 Likes

The wisdom god, Woden, went out to the king of the trolls, got him in an armlock, and demanded to know of him how order might triumph over chaos. “Give me your left eye,” said the troll, “and I’ll tell you.” Without hesitation, Woden gave up his left eye. “Now tell me.” The troll said, “The secret is, ‘Watch with both eyes!’" —John Gardner

11 Likes

non destructive RAW editing might be a useful feature to add. They haven’t yet done so.

2 Likes

I dropped all Adobe shit some years ago and have moved to Affinity’s products. VERY inexpensive, fast, and reliable. https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

2 Likes

It’s not like this is some kind of big secret or anything; but the fact that this particular error shipped does not suggest healthy things about how adhesive the contract is; and how seriously the idea of agreement is being taken.

If this were a situation that Adobe viewed as a genuine exercise in contractual negotiation the fact that they failed to even provide you with a working copy would be the sort of nontrivial, embarrassing issue that involves some scrambling.

As it is, with the customer’s consent to whatever gets shoved at them considered a foregone conclusion it wouldn’t be a surprise if nobody even bothered to check such an unimportant part of the package.

6 Likes
3 Likes

I have put Adobe on my NEVER USE list of companies. I can figure out ways to not use their software for far cheaper than it costs for me to use it. They are evil.

2 Likes

Fuck Adobe; I just bought a perpetual licence for Capture One 20.

That supports the vague consensus that Adobe’s attitude to piracy is indifference bordering on wink-wink lock-in device for future customers.

4 Likes