Africa is littered with abandoned poorly-planned aid projects

There’s a certain cruel logic at work here: If westerners paid attention to the needs of Africans, we wouldn’t be stealing so much wealth from them all the time. And they wouldn’t be in trouble, and they wouldn’t “need” our “help”.

But we don’t, so we do, and they are, so they do, so we do.

7 Likes

That’s true for first world countries too but the politicians will have none of it. They’d rather build up huge bureaucracies and then complain about the expense and whittle them back down to nothing. They can then claim to be “cutting the fat” from government.

Evil personified.,

1 Like

You don’t have to go all the way to Africa to see America’s failure to understand or meaningfully help the poor.

4 Likes

If it had been the Americans it would have cost more, done less and fallen apart by now.

And it fits in with the aims of a consumer society, too (for better or worse).

You appear to have not understood a joke. Remember who actually did the building of the US railroad system.

2 Likes

Met too many Americans who would say the same thing and mean it.

1 Like

If it’s unprocessed, yes.

3 Likes

Build your own local discount liquor store to get your money back, and hire local labor to staff it and/or use it as a cash cow to put more money back into the community - in the form of a billiards parlor or maybe a candy shop that you use to run numbers out of the back.

If there’s already an existing liquor store close by offer to become partners with them. Make them an offer they can’t refuse. :wink:

1 Like

Nice metaphoring! Actually I was just riffing on the #1 excuse people use for ungenerousity, from the street to Capitol Hill. I agree with @Bernel, nobody wants waste, fraud and abuse, but the solution is often much worse than the problem.

2 Likes

That was how I interpreted your comment when I read it, but I also saw it as an opportunity to be silly and just went with it. :grinning:

1 Like

It’s a an unfortunate tendency endemic to most cost/benefit analyses. Instead of buffering against inefficiency, as a species we have a compulsion to expend far greater resources trying to eliminate minor waste. They Sucked At Math will probably be written on humanity’s tombstone.

2 Likes

I think it’s one of our worst cases of exploitation out there.

1 Like

don’t worry. although some of that money trickles down, most of it winds up with big ag and wall st.

something like 1/2 of us farm land is rented. and even if not the land, you gotta rent the drm tractors, and buy the drm seed.

hmmm. maybe we should just give the money directly to corporations without all these middle layers. or, ask them what they need and buy it for them. they’re people too after all. they need to eat, sleep, and raise subsidiaries.

won’t someone think of the subsidiaries!?

I heard that if you find a mouse in a beer bottle that you bought from them they have to, like, give you a whole case of beer for free. Or maybe that’s just in Canada.

bob-and-doug-mackenzie-try-to-get-free-beer-using-a-mouse-in-a-bottle

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.