After buying HuffPo, Buzzfeed lays off 45 staff

Okay, I didn’t think I’d be coming into a thread to defend Buzzfeed, but here we are. Surely Boingers are aware they that they have evolved an impressive investigative journalism arm? Yes, they pay the bills with memes and listicles, but they aren’t sitting on that money. They are using it to fund the kind of investigative journalism that nobody else will pay for anymore. A couple of random recent samples:

…and well, they are who they are so they also have listicles of their own investigative journalism:

I’m, of course, sorry about the folks who’ve lost their jobs at HuffPo. This always sucks. But HuffPo was no saint- they have a long history of pushing quack medicine and publishing poorly supported ideological stories represented as factual. They did good work as well, but their reputation as an ideological left-wing quack factory was earned.

BuzzFeed may well be run by sleezeballs, I don’t know. But at least they are funding real journalism in a time where we need that more than ever.

I swear I’m not a sock puppet*, it just seems like the opinions in here needed some balance.

*just what a socket puppet would say…

2 Likes

Vice is actually really good for this sort of thing also…

1 Like

Also ProPublica.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.