Algorithmic cruelty: when Gmail adds your harasser to your speed-dial

Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) “Request For Comments”. They are basically proposals for internet standards.

1 Like

Out of likes very early today so here is a :rabbit2: and a :horse: to express my sincere appreciation for the patient and generous help.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

4 Likes

Inbox does work better for me on my phone - I don’t miss the Gmail app. But I don’t use Inbox on the desktop. And speeddial is just so wrong it’s a nuisance.

2 Likes

I miss Mailbox. I tried Inbox and rapidly decided it would drive me nuts.

But now I use Outlook to check Gmail on my iPhone.
(mostly because as Dropbox died, Microsoft announced they were killing Sunrise Calendar)

2 Likes

I wasn’t implying human read, unless it is flagged. Most people consider parsing reading. The NSA doesn’t read your email either, they parse it unless it is flagged, then they read it, almost the same, except google is building an advertising profile and the NSA is building a risk assessment profile.

Of course data is “fed back”, that is how the parsing is able to selectively serve ads based on the content of your email, an index is generated, the ads that are served based on that index are tracked, etc.

Not to mention that google will turn over the contents of your mail to any agency with a warrant or court order to do so.

With secure email services like protonmail they can’t access the contents of your email even if they want to…they don’t mine your email for advertising data…they don’t mine the emails of people emailing you for advertising data against their accounts.

I know Gmail has been doing this since the beginning and it has been unacceptable since then. Nothing has changed about that.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with Dropbox?

I don’t use it so much anymore since it’s blocked by the Corp. firewall.

1 Like

I meant to say I liked Mailbox until Dropbox killed it.

1 Like

No, honey, work on your text comprehension please. I meant that people that say or think “this never happens” are extrapolating their personal experience. Not that white males can’t be stalked. Everybody can be stalked.

4 Likes

They had Orkut and Google Reader as incredibly powerful social networks but they killed both to shoehorn Google Plus. All Orkut users then went to Facebook and the users of Reader went to Feedly and Your Old Reader to read and twitter or Facebook to interact. They alienated users, failed to transition them to Google Plus and pretty much made crappy social network synonymous with Google. Do they learn anything? Nope.

1 Like

Oh, man. Google Reader is sorely missed by me.

Did anybody really like Orkut (other than spammers and Brazilians)? I remember it being pretty lousy so I didn’t feel any great loss when it was shuttered. Goggle Reader on the other hand… man, that was a huge blow when they shut that down. I use The Old Reader now but it’s just not the same.

Google does many things great, “social” stuff is definitely not one of them.

2 Likes

I am Brazilian. It was a huge deal here. Now the national crazy is What’sApp, to the point that my cellphone plan caps my 4G Internet but allows people to keep using What’sApp. This bugs me a little because I use Telegram.

Anyway, Orkut was popular not only in Brazil but in BRIC. India, Russia and Brazil together count as a huge market. And yeah, it was very crappy but then, we’re all on Facebook that is equally crappy and even more shady.

4 Likes

Wait a minute… people actually used Orkut? Heck even the guys I knew who worked for Google at the time dropped it after a few weeks.
ETA: I see where you answered @ficuswhisperer

2 Likes

Ah! Thanks for the local perspective. I do realize Orkut was a huge phenomenon in Brazil, but I didn’t realize it was so popular in those other areas as well. I remember reading this article (I don’t know how much truth is in there but it seems plausible enough to me: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/why-brazil-loves-orkut/3082/) that tried to explain some of the reasons why it was so big in Brazil.

I remember when I set up an Orkut fan page for one of my favorite Sega Master System games. Given the Brazilian love for Orkut and the Sega Master System I created the perfect storm. Eventually every post to the group was in Portuguese!

2 Likes

I agree. Feedly is just not nearly as good.

Yeah, it was the perfect storm at the right time!

I’m old enough to start using the web at college, mostly for Usenet and mIrc chats. I remember the first social networks, Friendster, Multiply, MySpace, Tribe.net etc. Computers were expensive and Internet wasn’t so popular. So there were a few privileged souls that could afford it and most of us understood that English was the lingua franca of Web and were integrated into the groups, learned the rules etc.

Then came the popularization and ubiquity of computers and smartphones and a crowd with varying degrees of comprehension of how things work, gearing from localization or international use to issues of text comprehension. The lack of education of the people having access to the web wasn’t the problem, the volume and velocity prevented assimilation. Thus shenanigans abound.

Kids think that English is some kind of pretend language that the characters talk on YouTube and just when they learn it at school as second language they understand that other people have other mother tongues. What they think is that if they learn English as second language, all English speaking people learn Portuguese as second language, They know how to speak it, they’re just being lazy. Some people carry this to adulthood.

It’s similar to the “talk English!” issue you have. They believe you should speak Portuguese, dammit.

2 Likes

Haha what? Really? Thats hilarious and amazing!

2 Likes

Hah! I love it! Good to see “speak our damn language!” is something the whole world can get behind.

5 Likes

Yeah! We have a great international animation festival here, Anima Mundi. Once I was there with my son, that was five years old then, and he asked if he could meet the artist that made his favorite short. I had a hard time trying to explain to him that the artist wouldn’t understand him speaking Portuguese just because he could understand the English lol

3 Likes

It gets eerily similar when it’s geared against other South American people visiting Brazil. Most of us can’t speak Spanish to save our souls (me included) but they expect the foreigners to learn Portuguese or else.

I remember something like this happens in France too. My teachers always said that you’ll be better treated if you speak broken French than speaking English.

2 Likes

I understand the French attitude. I’ve read about this before and it’s my understanding that there’s a fear of cultural dilution to the point where loanwords are discouraged and French equivalents are preferred. It’s also the national language and you must demonstrate some fluency to get citizenship.

What I’ve always found funny about the “you’re in America, speak English” attitude is that there’s no national language of the US. English is the lingua franca, and it’s what’s used in official documents (although some official documents are written in multiple languages). There’s no law or requirement to speak it, though.

1 Like