Amazon at times used Flex drivers' tips to cover promised base pay, investigation finds

Not that I want to be defending this bullshit, but if this is what the drivers agreed to:

“Our pay commitment to delivery partners has not changed since we launched the Amazon Flex program — delivery partners still earn $18-25 per hour, including 100% of tips — and on average drivers earn over $20/hour,”

Then the key word is “including” and not “plus”. If it were “plus” then they would get their $18-$25 base pay plus whatever tips they were given.

By saying “including” it gives Amazon the option of adding up the tips, and then subtracting the part they pay until what the driver will be getting falls within $18-$25.

… and on average drivers earn over $20/hour,”

And driver Jeff Lee nailed it:

“They just hide behind the fact that they guarantee $18 [an hour],” said driver Jeff Lee. “Sounds great but that $18 [an hour] guarantee could be all from customer tips while Amazon chips in zero.”

Good points, however first off delivery drivers surely aren’t classified as servers, are they?

On top of that, in the restaurant biz, if the server’s tips exceed the $8/hr minimum wage amount, do the restaurants then pocket the $2.83?

If they do, that’s still morally wrong IMO (fwtw) and should be illegal.

Normally, I would think no, however the Amazon Flex Driver program seems to be targeting people with free time and cars. Like Uber for objects.

These drivers might take the added step of knocking on doors, and handing over the packages, instead of just dropping them off by the house and leaving. Then, face to face, tipping might enter into it, like with any other delivery service.

Personally, I haven’t had this happen. What has happened just recently is something I ordered the night before was waiting on my porch the next morning. And the delivery person took a photo of the package on the porch, and I got a text alert saying it had been delivered along with the photo. It was weird.

2 Likes

No, I apologise if I’ve misunderstood you…

There, now we’ve all established that it’s not just Brits and Canadians who excessively apologise - unless of course you’re Canadian…

1 Like

Ya, I get all that, but don’t they also state the compensation for each delivery? Or is that wrapped up in the same mealy-mouthed horse crap legalese?

Of course what has now been ruled legal is for the restaurant owners to pool the tips in a way that makes busboys “tipped workers” so that they also get paid a sub-minimum wage.

2 Likes

I don’t know. I didn’t dive that deeply into it to see what sets the range between $18 and $25. But I think…

… would be quite likely.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.