America's CEOs and hedge-funds are starving the nation's corporations to death

Who cares about support? By the time it becomes an issue, there will be a new app to sell or the whole company will have been parceled out and sold piecemeal while the CEO walks away with a nice performance bonus. Long term is someone else’s problem.

What are wages then?

Yer gettin’ ripped off. I set up a chrome book with a browser extension that randomly pulls posts, deactivates everything but the Like button, and have my cat lay on the keyboard.

Sure I need to clean catnip out of it occasionally, but it is cheeeap.

3 Likes

You did that yourself?

THAT’S SO LAST MILLENIUM

Not if you want a functioning economy in which to operate you don’t. And, you know, a business with employees who are productive and don’t hate you so much it harms your profits due to their attitude towards their jobs. Stuff like that.

3 Likes

Wages are operating expenses

Wages are paid to the people who make the goods. They go to real live human beings, who are the ones who buy dumb shit from corporations. That asshole Henry Ford (who only did it out of fear of the unions) raised wages so that he could mass produce his cars and actually have someone to sell them too. He was aware of the relationship between mass production and consumption. If people can’t afford to buy your goods, they will rot in a lot somewhere.

You maybe shouldn’t dehumanize people in this manner, as if the people who perform the actually labor in our system are meaningless cogs.

5 Likes

He was an asshole. And I think it’s ironic and really depressing that the assholes of yesteryear understood basic economics while our assholes are largely snake oil salesmen.

Raise wages because you don’t want unionized workers? Good!! That means the unions are ultimately working!

(Let’s side table the violent goons who worked for the union busters for a mo’)

3 Likes

I’m working in the GSU’s archive this semester with the labor archivist. I’ve been listening to oral histories with retired machinists (the Intern. Association of Machinists And Aerospace Workers) and it’s interesting to hear them talk about how things have changed since the 50s and 60s. They all believed in the mission and had stories that illustrated how much more productive the economy becomes when the unions are given the right amount of respect from management. If they work together, everyone wins - workers are more productive and that’s good for the company.

4 Likes

Gonna publish a paper? The internet is great, but getting at things like oral histories is damn hard for a dilettante like myself.

2 Likes

No, labor history isn’t really my area of expertise. But honestly, most archives that have oral histories are open to the public - check around in your area at what sorts of collections the local schools have - you’ll likely be surprised at what they hold and what you can access, either on campus or through their websites. I think even labor unions are more interested in preserving the history of their organization, and they tend to do so via their membership, so even their websites might have some stuff to check out.

I think it’s Ohio state is working on making oral histories more accessible to the public. Our labor archivist wants them to be more easily accessible and this collection will eventually be online through what Ohio State (or whatever it is) is doing.

Go check out the Oral History Association (and read a remembrance of the great Cliff Kuhn, GSU historian and head of the OHA, who died a couple of weeks ago), as they probably have links to online oral histories:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.