America's infrastructure debt is so bad that towns are unpaving roads they can't afford to fix

Compromise: a common sight in the Australian outback are two-lane dirt roads with a single lane of bitumen thrown down the centre.

Highly entertaining when you meet a road train with a combined closing speed of 250km/h. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But how are we going to raise money for our salaries if we can’t promise new roads?

I would infinitely prefer to drive on a simple gravel road than a crappily-maintained paved road full of potholes, cracks, and hunks of loose asphalt.

Just an idea: Buy one aircraft carrier less or reduce dropping bombs on brown foreigners and you can fix a few hundred bridges.

7 Likes

The roads are covered under state budgets, while the military is covered under federal. (See how nicely that works?)

3 Likes

There is self-healing pavement actually. Also pavement that has solar panels built in.

1 Like

“Starving people? Can’t help that, sorry. Food is covered under state budgets, while the military is covered under federal”
Kim Jong Un

4 Likes

Close enough.

2 Likes

That is ridiculous. Everyone know Hazzard County is in Kentucky.

2 Likes

It’s funny…I must have watched every episode of that show multiple times as a kid and I never really thought about what state Hazzard county was in. I always assumed Alabama but Wikipedia says Georgia.

2 Likes

Georgia? Who knew?! I had always thought it was the one in Kentucky. The more you know…

Some of these comments are calling out for this famous one:

9 Likes

No, it’s in (fictional) GA! Everyone knows that! :wink:

1 Like

No, that powerpoint.

If I may channel Captain Obvious:

Roads, like anything else in our universe that takes up space, are 3 dimensional.

European roads are short, narrow, and THICK. So they can last.

Our (US) roads are long by necessity, wide by sheer cussed stupidity on our part, and thin because we have to find some way to save money on them.

So they are crumbling down to nothing.

3 Likes

I’m reminded of the old line about “Europeans think 200 miles is a long way; Americans think 200 years is a long time”.

Which gives me an excuse to quote a similar national comparison: “Americans set out to conquer their continent, and succeeded. Australians set out to conquer their continent…and decided to call it a draw.”

12 Likes

Isn’t the other comment in that regard along the lines of “Australia is the one biome on the planet that greeted the arrival of human beings with saying 'Welcome, New Competitors!”?

4 Likes

Well, I did hear Australia tried to sue Suzanne Collins for stealing the idea for the Hunger Games…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.