An 14-year-old's Internet-of-Things worm is bricking shitty devices by the thousands

Medical devices come immediately to mind.

11 Likes

Not only that, a lot of companies have a “shoot the messenger” attitude when someone has the temerity to point out that their security sucks, even when it’s a bona fide security researcher who isn’t actually damaging anything.

8 Likes

This seems like apoptosis for the internet.

A trifle grim; but vital to the success, even the survival, of most multicellular organisms.

8 Likes

Doing the Lord’s work :innocent:

2 Likes

Ye use a lot o’ an’s 'en you 'ight 'ith an 'ockney accent.

2 Likes

And IoT beer fridges.

2 Likes

Yes, nearly all iot devices suck. Shit needs to change.

This doesn’t hurt truly crap iot device makers since they have no real brand recognition.

Kinda good but also CWAA! (christ what an asshole)

1 Like

I think the main cost factor would be stupid users. They’d either have to give to give support to the sort of user who doesn’t understand “enter a personal passphrase” or face lots of returns.
If it has more than one button or the buttons is labeled anything else than “OK” the vast majority of today’s population can’t deal with it 'cause “I am not a programmer!”

1 Like

It should be probably /dev/urandom. With /dev/random it would take a long time.
The command looks like that:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

1 Like

If you can’t deal with stupid users then you shouldn’t be selling consumer-grade electronics.

7 Likes

You forgot to prefix that with “sudo”. If you give people instructions to shoot their own foot, make them fool-proof.

1 Like

But did you was from a Judean People’s Front washbowl? (not to be confused with the People’s Front of Judea washbowl)

3 Likes

4 Likes

I honestly don’t know what’s worse – that these 14-year-olds don’t seem to have a better use for their time (they could be writing the next Minecraft after all, but they’d probably have to learn to program first), or that people feel the need to connect random stuff – whose system software was probably written by people whose technical mojo is about as bad as that of the 14-year-old script kiddies – to the public Internet.

2 Likes

I remember when the worst thing a bored teenage could do was steal a car.

Isn’t making viruses a now-traditional hobby of bored youth? (Although Morris was a grad student at the time of his worm… huh)

3 Likes

Eat an potato. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Like summoning a fleet of Tesla’s.

Kids today- no gumption.

3 Likes

Bless!

Gotta love that nomenclature though.
“What’s your hobby, kid? What do you do for fun - sports, videogames, robbing apples…?”
Stony silence “Actually I’m an Internet of Things THREAT ACTOR, old man.”

Disclaimer: when I was a bit older that that guy, I was a fuel injection technician :wink: aka I pumped gas
(but not “one of the most prominent and talented ones”, sadly)

1 Like

I always thought that was a petroleum transfer technician…

1 Like